Fuel Pump Test 04 6.0

olyellaferd

Reaction score
I'm curious of how to test my fuel pump to see if it's starting to go out. Don't know a lot about these fuel pumps. I'm assuming since the injectors are opened based on oil pressure that the fuel pump on the rail is the only fuel pump. The truck stutters a slight slight bit at about 1/4 throttle under moderate load. I'm believing the fuel pump is starting to go out because it has new 175/30 injectors from MPD and new hpop, icp sensor and ipr valve. Truck has 227,000 miles and fuel filters are changed every other oil change (10k miles). Always run stanadyne fuel additive. The lubricity formula. Bought the truck with 199k miles

j.bagg19

Reaction score
Esp. with new injectors, if you dont want to loose them! The oem spring lets you build the minimum pressure needed for the injectors (around 45 psi) blue spring will allow up to around 65 psi, you should also verify pressure at the filter housing while running The truck to make sure their are no other issues

j.bagg19

Reaction score
If the truck is shuddering when the rpms drop after an acceleration, could be your torque converter!
My 04 6.0 has 310,000 miles. I have been through the same issues

olyellaferd

Reaction score
Cool. I'll do that this weekend. I'll research part numbers on here later. Thanks man. I'll keep this updated on how it does

sootie

Reaction score
do you have a monitor or scanner of any sort? you need to check fuel pressure like suggested above. the next thing to check is icp voltage.

Has the truck been tuned for the new injectors?

olyellaferd

Reaction score
I've got a scanguage 2 I can monitor it with. No I haven't gotten a tune for my injectors yet. I'll check the fuel pressure and icp voltage and get back to you guys

sootie

Reaction score
I've got a scanguage 2 I can monitor it with. No I haven't gotten a tune for my injectors yet. I'll check the fuel pressure and icp voltage and get back to you guys

lack of tune is likely your issue...

sootie

Reaction score
Kind of retarded to throw parts at something with no diagnosis...

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
What's an HFCM?

Horizontal fuel conditioning module. Fords fancy name for the fuel pump.

But i agree with no point in throwing parts without diagnosing. Get a set of tunes first and see if that fixes it. Then if it doesnt, run a fuel pressure check, and then go from there.

black'n'blue

Reaction score
I didn't think you could monitor fuel pressure on these 6.0's without an actual gauge?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk

olyellaferd

Reaction score
I'm not sure I remember reading that somewhere but I believe my scanguage has a reading I'll double check