Fuel systems

Bigsexy

Reaction score
I've been looking into doing a fuel system next and was looking at all the options, dual stock pumps, fuel labs, and air dog. Why do most of the 7.3 guys go with the dual stock pumps. Id like to do all the way from tank to motor. I was looking into doing an air dog 2 as they now have a regulator built in and go pretty much tank to the motor. I could run a mmetering block with a gauge or some kinda splitter with fuel to the top of the motor? I would have to buy 90% the setup if I have to go with a regulated return, pumps, filters, pre and post pump lines. So why don't any of you all run air dogs or fass systems?

Derek@Vision Diesel

Reaction score
Really like the Walbro/Stock pump in parallel on the turbos. If you want to go with a single with an A1000 also works very very well.

The AD in my opinion is not worth the money, put a regulator up on top of the engine and save a bunch of money

09stroker

Reaction score
For what the pump flows, the filtering capabilities and capacities, it's just not worth it.

Bigsexy

Reaction score
So the way I've seen it pricing everything out from tank to motor, I'm looking at somewhere around 900 or so to do the whole system. My ending goal is to put 250/200's in my truck so id like to build my fuel for those injectors in the future. What do you all think id need to run 250/200s? I have a fuel gauge on the way to see how it drops with my stage 2s now.

Reaction score
Your cheapest and best bet would be to do 2 stockers in parallel or just do one fuel lab. One thing I like about the dual stockers is that you can get a replacement anywhere basically so if your out of town your not down a few days. From what I have seen the Airdog is alright for stage 1's or 2's but anything bigger it seems as though they can't seem to hold above 50-55psi.

Dieselboy.

Reaction score
Your cheapest and best bet would be to do 2 stockers in parallel or just do one fuel lab. One thing I like about the dual stockers is that you can get a replacement anywhere basically so if your out of town your not down a few days. From what I have seen the Airdog is alright for stage 1's or 2's but anything bigger it seems as though they can't seem to hold above 50-55psi.

Well said Mike.

You should also add as you probably know. The service life of the bosch SD pump.

Dual SDs here.

Lowdown89

Reaction score
I run the CPR kit from diesel site and it handle my 250/200s fine and is a super nice kit but honestly if i was to do it over again I would look at the kits from irate or something like that .... it seems like for the price the kit from Jake is hard to beat for what all you get

Fl Stroker

Reaction score
We removed the air dog due to keeping up with 300/200's and went with 2 stockers sumped. Reliability is key for me.

Bigsexy

Reaction score
I can get a slightly used stock fuel pump for 50, where's the best place to get the filter bases? I have the tools to do my own an fittings and stainless line. I just say that the air dog 2 came with the lines to go from the tank to motor and it has abuilt in regulator. So I thought spending the 700 on that would save me money on not have to buy a pre pump kit, post pump and regulated return. Is the only reason air dogs work well ith dodges because they have an extra pump to not only push, but pull the fuel as while?

Bigsexy

Reaction score
Are the fittings on an obs as far as running the fuel to the back of the heads the same as a super duty 7.3?

Strictly Diesel

Reaction score
The primary reason we no longer offer the AD2 pumps is reliability, with ability to maintain enough volume/pressure second. You can only take so many calls from angry customers that are stuck on the side of the road before you just walk away. We did have several of them supporting good size injectors in both 7.3L and 6.0L trucks, when they were running and were setup properly.

I'm currently doing some testing on another setup, with 200/200s. Just got the truck running and still need to dial in the tuning before we do any WOT pressure testing. This will be a long term test though, because reliability is a factor as well.

With ANY type of pump that has a built in regulator (AD2 or FASS for example), I HIGHLY RECOMMEND NOT trying to use the pump as the only regulator in the system. It makes no sense regulating the pressure that far before the engine. The pressure at the pump will not accurately reflect the pressure at the injectors. You are always best having the pressure regulation after (but as close as possible to) all of the pressure drop and all of the "demand" (injectors).

Twin stock pumps is a great way to go for high reliability. The stock Bosch pumps are darn near bulletproof, designed and rated for diesel fuel use (unlike the Walbro), quiet, small, etc. These setups have been done for years with great success, and it's been on my "to do" list to build a clean dual stock pump setup forever...but other crap keeps getting in the way. The biggest downside to this setup is that the pumps are not inexpensive, and they don't have changeable inlet fittings (no clean way to attach "AN" style hoses). They also have very small outlet threads with a limited availability of fittings unless you connect adapters to adapters. It makes doing a "clean" (by my definition...if you've seen how we do other things you'll understand) setup a bit tough.

As for AirDog/FASS type pumps in other applications...in my experience they both work best in applications where they are operating as "HIGH VOLUME / LOW PRESSURE" pumps. My race truck has an AD150 running at 10psi feeding the Fuelab pump. The Fuelab pump handles the high pressure duties and the whole system is managed by the Regulated Return setup. I get the filtration and air removal of the AirDog and the high pressure capability of the Fuelab...and they both do their job well. It's a bit more expensive to run it this way, but it works great and the pressure is solid, even with 400cc injectors.

Also, running fuel into the rear fittings on the heads is not necessary. I'm supporting 400s through the 1/8" ports, the old WOP OBS as well as the Lightning and Dragster were both plumbed the same way last time I looked too. Food for thought...

Diezel Dawg

Reaction score
Running an AD2 with Strictly's(Driven's) regulated return and a Sumps from Alligator Performance. I have had.no fuel.issues since this install back.in Jan/Feb.

Sent from my EVO 3D on the East Side

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
i know i am only running 170/100s but i went with strictlys 5/8s pickup tube to 1/2" lines to the walbro to stock everything on the motor and held pressure rocksolid after i added a aeromotive regulator for a returned system.... using stock lines and same size lines for the return.... for insurence i added a carter 4600 as a lift pump and a pre hgh pressure pump filter/water seperator an d still run the stock filter as well. hell i ran the lines from the top of the rear head fuel port and front head fuel port and it doesnt budge.... but for the record i know of a couple 250cc trucks running the stock fuel system with a walbro and it doesnt budge

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
guzzles web page and tarm on here gave me the idea.... that way the walbro doesnt have to work at pulling and pushing at the same time... all it has to do is push and maintain psi. the carter does the pulling and puts a little psi on the walbro. the way tarm explains it is that it basically turns it into a free flow setup. with the 5/8s pickup it basically siphons the fuel on its own to the carter until a little less then a quarter tank. then the carter starts the pulling of the fuel on startup.

Latest posts

Members online