Fuel wheels in winter?

Purdue_stroker

Reaction score
I'm curious how well fuel wheels hold up to the harsh winter months. I had my XDs on my 6.0 and the winter roads destroyed them even with me cleaning them all the time. I'm trying to keep some money in my pocket by not buying new tires for my stock wheels for the winter months, but I will if the salt will destroy my rims. What have you guys seen?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Cory@RPHC

Reaction score
One idea could be to plastidip them in the winter to protect the chrome and then peel them come spring?

MrMike2010

Reaction score
If they are chrome the winter will kill them in no time. Been there and I was anal about keeping them clean.

We had a hurricane roll thru and being I live close to the water, the salt in the air practically destroyed them over night. I cleaned them real well and had a coat of wax on them the day before and they still pitted. You would have thought I parked my wheels in the ocean.

I'm thinking a few heavy coats of plasti dip like ^^ suggested might be your best bet.

04cr450

Reaction score
My hostages(black) held up just fine.. Im in Maryland where they use salt enough to make the road look like solid white... I cleaned them though every other day so that may have something to do with it.

Nj67

Reaction score
Here in jersey they use brine and mine hold up pretty good. Rinse off once a week or so.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

powerlifter405

Reaction score
My hostages(black) held up just fine.. Im in Maryland where they use salt enough to make the road look like solid white... I cleaned them though every other day so that may have something to do with it.

You sure you weren't in MN :toast: I made sure my AFE was oiled well. I saw those white dust clouds all the time when things dried up.

04cr450

Reaction score
hahaha im sure^ lol Our tax dollars wasted that's for sure... I hate it. Years ago they used sand- worked just fine for the ones that drive with sense, and kept the trucks cleaner

Tonka350

Reaction score
I've seen regular weather destroy a set of hostages....and quickly...I would suggest investing in a cheap set of winter wheels/tires even if they are just enough to get you through one winter just to save your wheels.

Chad

average

Reaction score
I was debating on putting some new rubber on the stock wheels to save my hostages from winter too.

Bongiardina

Reaction score
I Live in NJ and drive my truck daily during the week at least 100 miles a day. I had one set of 20 x 10 black hostages that went through two winters and still looked mint when I sold them and my current set of 20 x 14 black hostages has been through one winter with me I bought them used and they still look mint.

Tonka350

Reaction score
the black wheels are COMPLETELY different than the chrome wheels....they last....the chrome wheels look like sh!t after a little while of good weather.

Chad

Latest posts

Members online