Funky "vibration" at idle

RyanD

Reaction score
Hey folks,

Curious about a really fast, almost harmonic vibration I am feeling at idle and stopped in gear with the brake pressed. It does it cold, warm, any time I am stopped. At first I ignored it, but now it's bugging me. You can hear it a bit in the truck, and feel it in the center console. Truck is stock, always run the same diesel, and no problems to mention up to this point. '13 6.7 with 61K miles. Appreciate any ideas or if I should just leave well enough alone.

kdm428701

Reaction score
Mine is doing the same thing. Thought it could be exhaust hanger broke and pipe touching frame, but it's good. Checked bolts under neath to make sure they're tightened, etc... still vibration. could be motor mounts??? 2011 F350 srw

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk

RyanD

Reaction score
Mine seems to come and go and is oriented toward the front of the truck. I drove it to work this morning and it was pretty smooth, even in the colder weather here. Went to grab dinner, remote started, let it heat up to 100 - first stop light I could audibly hear it, yet barely feel it in the console. So weird. Honestly, no codes and doesn't affect drivability, so I am just going to let it rest.

RyanD

Reaction score
Do you mean the rail filter? Haven't checked how tight it is, good place to at least have a gander.

Reaction score
I had started a similar thread here in the tech section a few weeks ago with a similar vibration at idle. You can check it out and see if its what you are experiencing. Its titlted "weird vibration at idle". Would be great if anyone can find the root cause to this!

kdm428701

Reaction score
mine is like RyanD's, vibration in park but also in gear/ drive with brake pressed i.e. traffic light

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk

RyanD

Reaction score
I figured mine out - My AFE cold air intake "bucket" snapped off at the bolt that holds it to the radiator support. Was vibrating hard - removed the broken piece, bent the bracket out of the way and back to all nice and smooth.

RyanD

Reaction score
Some have had problems with harmonic balancer,ford upgraded it on the 2015 .

Do you think a bad/defective one could have caused that bracket to break like it did? To be honest the metal for that AFE bucket feels pretty cheap, and the remaining "stub" was easily bendable by hand. My initial response was not shock that it could shear like that.

jvgviper1

Reaction score
Do you think a bad/defective one could have caused that bracket to break like it did? To be honest the metal for that AFE bucket feels pretty cheap, and the remaining "stub" was easily bendable by hand. My initial response was not shock that it could shear like that.

No, if your running smooth now then i would not worry about it

Latest posts

Members online