Garrett 38r rebuild option from KC

KCTurbos

Reaction score
So you have an upgraded garrett 38r... maybe it is a few years old or maybe even a few months old. Until now there were no good options when it came to a rebuild option or upgrade option. There are no rebuild kits available and the upgraded center section from Garrett is so expensive that it is not worth it. Also adding a billet wheel to the 38r has proven to kill the turbos quickly from being out of balance.

KC Turbos now has a great solution for all those problems. Per customer requests we have come out with a drop in upgraded CHRA. You just re-use your compressor cover, turbine housing, and wastegate actuator with our upgraded center section and BAM! Your are back on the road with a great upgraded turbo that is now easily rebuilt. With the upgraded billet compressor wheel and upgraded s300 style turbine wheel you will see quicker spool up, more power, and cooler egts.

Here is a link to learn more:
https://kcturbos.com/products/garre...powerstroke-99-03?_pos=1&_sid=2a5c9359a&_ss=r

Also here is a great video showing exactly what the CHRA consists of:

https://youtu.be/SphgGqOIBo4

boss300

Reaction score
That’s pretty awesome. I have a 38r sitting in my shop that I replaced with one of your kc38r turbos after the garret started puking oil after 14 months of use. How would a 38r with this kit stack up against a stock 38r and against your kc38r?

KCTurbos

Reaction score
That’s pretty awesome. I have a 38r sitting in my shop that I replaced with one of your kc38r turbos after the garret started puking oil after 14 months of use. How would a 38r with this kit stack up against a stock 38r and against your kc38r?

It should fall somewhere in between the 2

psduser1

Reaction score
Interested. The 38r on our 01 never has been right, this looks like it could be a reasonable alternative to a new turbo.
Do you have any compliments/complaints on them yet?

fastersteve

Reaction score
I'm interested too.
First 38R I bought was GREAT! Spooled quickly, lots of boost, until it started pumping oil down the exhaust.
Replacement is kinda lazy and barely any better than the stocker...very underwhelming.

Latest posts

Members online