Gasser Spring Ride Quality Questions

Pwnm30rdi3

Reaction score
Would love to drop my 2011 CCSB - 1.5 to 2.5 inches or so.
Read a few posts about spring weights, 4800lbs seems to be the spring of choice. Can't seem to find any used on the market right now.

Anyways, I couldn't find much on the ride quality.
Anyone running a similar set-up care to chime in? Is the ride bouncy? How is the death wobble? (On my stock springs I haven't yet experienced the death wobble)

sootie

Reaction score
I run 4400lb and a 1" rear block. Check out my ad in the classifieds for pics on how it sits. ride is actually softer than stock but bottoms out waaaay easier. I cut my bump stops in half otherwise they were sitting only 1/4" off the axle. Body roll is more pronounced and death wobble can happen in certain scenarios. I think if the rest of your front end is tight and you adjust the alignment to account for the added caster, you should be fine. The other issue you run into is bottoming out the shocks. If you pay Mike or someone for a set of custom kings and address the bump stop issue somehow, I bet your experience would be awesome.

I love the look but not sure i would do it again honestly.

Pwnm30rdi3

Reaction score
I run 4400lb and a 1" rear block. Check out my ad in the classifieds for pics on how it sits. ride is actually softer than stock but bottoms out waaaay easier. I cut my bump stops in half otherwise they were sitting only 1/4" off the axle. Body roll is more pronounced and death wobble can happen in certain scenarios. I think if the rest of your front end is tight and you adjust the alignment to account for the added caster, you should be fine. The other issue you run into is bottoming out the shocks. If you pay Mike or someone for a set of custom kings and address the bump stop issue somehow, I bet your experience would be awesome.

I love the look but not sure i would do it again honestly.

Thank you for the detailed answer. I'm not sure that lowering is worth it if the ride quality is compromised like that.

What do you mean a set of custom kings? Like the shock brand?

Has anyone tried cutting 5200# or stiffer springs? A bit more stiff, to prevent bottoming out, but lowered to provide the look we want?

sootie

Reaction score
Thank you for the detailed answer. I'm not sure that lowering is worth it if the ride quality is compromised like that.

What do you mean a set of custom kings? Like the shock brand?

Has anyone tried cutting 5200# or stiffer springs? A bit more stiff, to prevent bottoming out, but lowered to provide the look we want?

Yes king shocks.
Yes you can cut a 5200 1 coil or a 6000 1.5 coils to achieve the same look, same stiff ride and not bottom out quite as much. will still happen though. Make sure if/when you cut the coils, you spray water on the zip disc or saw blade to keep it cool. It is imperative if you dont want to sacrifice the integrity of the spring steel.

Pwnm30rdi3

Reaction score
Yes king shocks.
Yes you can cut a 5200 1 coil or a 6000 1.5 coils to achieve the same look, same stiff ride and not bottom out quite as much. will still happen though. Make sure if/when you cut the coils, you spray water on the zip disc or saw blade to keep it cool. It is imperative if you dont want to sacrifice the integrity of the spring steel.

Custom Kings... sounds expensive, but I'm sure it would pay off in a lowered scenario as you described above. Although at that point I'd seriously consider just throwing it on bags and 4 linking.

I may just throw on some 5100 shocks, leave the height stock, and get a set of traction bars and call it a day!

Latest posts

Members online