Gear whine when coasting or decelerating

f100cleveland

Reaction score
Hey guys, 2012 F350 4x4 and this just seemed to start up. When I let off the gas, there is whining gear noise when the truck is slowing down or coasting. As soon as I give it just enough gas to put any load on the drivetrain at all, its gone. Just curious if there is a common issue of something like the ring and pinion or gears in the t-case going out? The truck only has 50,500 miles on it. Would that be part of the factory drivetrain warranty that goes out to 100,000 miles?

Thanks

14ccd

Reaction score
I have the same noises. I got under there and checked the fluid levels in the transfer case and the rear diff. Both were 1qt low. It still makes noise, it's quieter but it is still there, I think my transfer case is toast. It seems Ford doesn't know how to fill them correctly from the factory. Probably will get the "you have a tuner and that caused the transfer case to go bad" speech from the dealer.

JRLott

Reaction score
One more reason to give Jim a call for the full LE fluid treatment. It's on my list o sh!+ to do.

14ccd

Reaction score
I haven't heard about that, can you give me more information on that.

GarrickG

Reaction score
I just picked mine back up from the dealer with a very similar concern. Dealer could find no problems with the trans but did replace the mid shaft bearing.

The service manager also mentioned it could be a noise from the DEF pump.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online