Giving the 7.3 one more chance.

weekendwarriorfsw32

Reaction score
Well I have about had it with my 7.3. hates to start in the morning sounds like its going to come apart. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFjJ5zvqhqw&list=UUamKcSV06A8Z5aW_GB5cmtQ&index=5&feature=plcp
Just did all that work to it in my sig and it runs ok but by 6.0 with just tunes and a turbo will wipe its @$$. So I am going to tear the top end of it apart again and here is my list.
1.Send the dual pumps to Joey to be checked out.
2. Getting rid of my TNBB turbo and going with a t-4 somthing like a S-366? This is what I need most help deciding on is my turbo, I know there is a lot out there so lay on me some idea's.
3. Gettitng rid of my fuel bowl.
4. Thinking about doing an Air dog 2 or building my own fuel system.
5. GPCM and glow plugs.

What else can you guys think of? Not trying to make this super fast but I don't like it being a slow smokey turd either, I want it to be fun and driveable cause right now driveability SUCKS. Any imput is greatly appreciated.

Dieselboy.

Reaction score
Try a new tuner....

That thing sounds horrible, I couldnt even listen to the whole vid :(

Any codes ? Sounds like an injector/injection problem related to tuning :shrug:

Go with Irates mount and an S366. Will be perfect for your sticks.

And I would do a reg return and a full fuel system. Skip the airdog. Just run a 2 micron and a 10 micron fuel/water seperator.

And again tunes. I recommend Swamps. Gearhead and Tyrant.

neverkickn

Reaction score
Drivability prolly sucks on the count of that dead miss. Sounds like more than one to me. Sounds just like what happens when you drop an idm or have a bad uvch. Does it go away when it is warm?

If it dosen't do it warm then I would be looking at injectors and compression.

weekendwarriorfsw32

Reaction score
Try a new tuner....

That thing sounds horrible, I couldnt even listen to the whole vid :(

Any codes ? Sounds like an injector/injection problem related to tuning :shrug:

Go with Irates mount and an S366. Will be perfect for your sticks.

And I would do a reg return and a full fuel system. Skip the airdog. Just run a 2 micron and a 10 micron fuel/water seperator.

And again tunes. I recommend Swamps. Gearhead and Tyrant.

Only codes I have is for glow plugs and the GPCM. What pump do you recmond? Walboro?

Dieselboy.

Reaction score
I dont think so on the air.

How long have you had that setup installed ? And how long has it been running like the first vid ?

Glowplugs would definatley cause a cold start issue.

I personally did the 2 SD pumps. I herd to many horror stories about walbros failing.

And was that Hank jr. playing :shrug:

Last edited:

weekendwarriorfsw32

Reaction score
I did all that in august of 2011.
Even the A1000?
I dont think so on the air.

How long have you had that setup installed ? And how long has it been running like the first vid ?

Glowplugs would definatley cause a cold start issue.

I personally did the 2 SD pumps. I herd to many horror stories about walbros failing.

And was that Hank jr. playing :shrug:

CSIPSD

Reaction score
Swap to a PMT or NVK PCM, Swap to a pickup GPR...

Assuming you have AE to check buzz and cont?

Changing your turbo, fuel system or HPO system is not going to fix the mechanical issue you have going on.

TyCorr

Reaction score
Goddamn if that doesnt sound like you've got a uvch coming.apart and a couple inj's are missing.

Thats pretty much necessary to fix before it makes sense to change performance parts or try to see what other issues you have. Maybe the glowplugs arent working because the uvch is.coming.unplugged.

That truck should rip and all Id.change is the turbo.

Reaction score
boy she sounds terrible...how did she run when you had it live tuned?...if you have not done it yet you will gain a lot more going to a full RR then you will doing a bowl delete..holding 65 psi in the bowl trying to feed the heads though a two 1/4 inch tubes with a couple hard bends isnt hard to do..but its the heads you want to hold 65 PSI or you will trash your injectors...

Last edited:

weekendwarriorfsw32

Reaction score
The truck runs smoth after you rev it up it only sounds like that till I give it gas and then it runs just fine smoth wise witch is why I belive its oil related not a mechanical issue. Yea fuel bowl Delete is going to happen to get 65 PSI in the heads.

CSIPSD

Reaction score
The truck runs smoth after you rev it up it only sounds like that till I give it gas and then it runs just fine smoth wise witch is why I belive its oil related not a mechanical issue. Yea fuel bowl Delete is going to happen to get 65 PSI in the heads.

Trying to figure what your saying here...

It starts like that, but once you give it some juice it cleans up? Does it idle fine after that point?

If that is the case then I would suspect the GPCM is bad and your not getting any power to the glow plugs... It will start and run rough... One of the reasons I deleted the GPCM on Chelseas Excursion.

Justin@DP-Tuner

Reaction score
Trying to figure what your saying here...

It starts like that, but once you give it some juice it cleans up? Does it idle fine after that point?

If that is the case then I would suspect the GPCM is bad and your not getting any power to the glow plugs... It will start and run rough... One of the reasons I deleted the GPCM on Chelseas Excursion.

Hey Joe, how did you delete the GPCM?

Also, from the sound of the video it seems as if it idles fine after that initial romp of the throttle. Like night and day difference.

To the OP... I might have to agree with Joe on not having glow plug power. Does it smoke when it is running rough? If so, what color is the smoke.

00powersmoke

Reaction score
Glow plug code, it doesn't run good till you rev it a bit and get the cylinder temp up. If it was mine I'd go after the glow plug issue. Does it smoke white while it's knocking?

TyCorr

Reaction score
Hey Joe, how did you delete the GPCM?

Also, from the sound of the video it seems as if it idles fine after that initial romp of the throttle. Like night and day difference.

To the OP... I might have to agree with Joe on not having glow plug power. Does it smoke when it is running rough? If so, what color is the smoke.

Swap to a PMT or NVK PCM, Swap to a truck gpr

That sums it up. Need a pcm that knows what to do with a gpr and the relay itself.

TyCorr

Reaction score
Doing some more research on the s366 and is there diffrent sizes or is there only one s366?

The s366 is a 3 series borg warner charger with a 66mm compressor exducer(I think). I do.think you can interchange.parts.readily. Such as housings and wheels.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.