GM 14-Bolt

Viking

Reaction score
Wondering if this axle is a big enough strength advantage to use it. I have 2 full float 14 bolts just sitting there not being used. Been thinking about putting them to good use.

Dave

Reaction score
Its the most common axle used by hardcore offroaders

Viking

Reaction score
I have seen a few things about them from the off-road world. I wonder what it takes to swap one into a SD. I'm thinking a little more than a few hundred bucks unfortunately.

Demon

Reaction score
It's got 3 pinion bearings, that's how it controls deflection in high load situations. They're pretty bullet proof.

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Tapatalk 2

INFRNL

Reaction score
I do not know what the actual strength is on them, but I have used one on my 79 without issues. I ran 44's and 5:14 gears with a Detroit locker. They are definitely tough. I would not hesitate to use them.

Viking

Reaction score
It's got 3 pinion bearings, that's how it controls deflection in high load situations. They're pretty bullet proof.

3 eh? nice, i don't know a lot about them. I guess I will have to head over to pirate4x4.

Viking

Reaction score
Did something happen to your SD 10.5?

No, but I have a E99 v10 reg cab long that's been sitting for 3 years and will be getting built for some type of purpose. I am thinking of turning it into a dedicated sled puller if I get addicted after my first pull in a couple months.

I am thinking if it is stronger than a 10.5, might as well through it in since I would want to get rid of the dana 50 in the front. I could do a 14-bolt front axle too. I do have two full floaters just sitting doing nothing.

Demon

Reaction score
You'll spend way more building a 14bolt front than you would if you just bought a D60.

Viking

Reaction score
So the 14 bolt is weaker than a 60? I bought a group of axles and sold off all but the two 14 bolts. Made money and got two axles left over.

jus10keith

Reaction score
I think he means that by the time you buy all of the steering components and axles to make your 14 bolt a steering axle, that you will probably be cheaper to actually buy a dedicated steering 60 front. But, the 14 bolt front is a cool setup. I think Pirate4x4 has a build thread on it.

Zmann

Reaction score
are they disc brake ?
I run a disc conversion 14 bolt in My 81 full size Jimmy

I think if the width was good it would be easy to place the spring pads where u want

Zmann

Reaction score
I think he means that by the time you buy all of the steering components and axles to make your 14 bolt a steering axle

I missed that

you were contemplating making a rear 14 a steering axle ?

ford rules

Reaction score
Theres quite a few threads about steer axle 14B on pirate4x4. Deffinatley a very stout axle, ive been wanting to swap my front 60 out on my ranger for a front 14.

Demon

Reaction score
If money is no object, there are better options. If money IS an object, there are better options than making a front 14bolt.

I know of a couple of front 14s. Cool factor might be the only thing it's got going for it. I'll take the Super60 in my truck over that everyday of the week, and twice on Sundays.

Viking

Reaction score
I'll take the Super60 in my truck over that everyday of the week, and twice on Sundays.

As would I....

Was there a video of your truck after you got the axles installed? I can't remember where I saw it.

Latest posts

Members online