Go West, Young Man- Connor M's 6.4

Connor M

Youtube Certified Master Technician
Reaction score
Didnt know you were in Mass. Good to see some locals with 6.4Ls still around. If you ever need tools or access to an IDS feel free to reach out. Where did you go for machining? I went to RCS i believe it was called out of ludlow. Was very pleased with their service. Wheres your stuff at?
My stuff is at All Cape Machine in Hyannis.

Shit, it's been a minute.
I pulled the motor out of the silver truck I actually bought off a dude on here. Ran it for a little over a year, was a great truck to me, but the motor was always destined for my 250.
IMG_0219.jpg

Looking at that picture now I'm not sure why we tossed that 6 liter tailgate, out of the 4 we have at the shop it probably was the best.

Anyways, we were on a time crunch. With my old man's yukon at the dealer (for five months and eleven days, in the end) my f250 was the most reliable 4 door vehicle to take on vacation. Only it didn't have an engine.
Resized_20211016_173330.JPEG

The torque converter put up a hell of a fight but I got it in, lost a driveshaft, and still made it in time to take the family on a trip from Massachusetts to Shenandoah national park, Asheville, NC, Nashville, TN, and southwest Florida and back. I made time to meet up with some friends I'd met through a groupchat and until then never spoken in person, it was a great experience and the truck made it. The ride on 26 in and 40 out of NC are both truly gorgeous, as is driving skyline drive. Highly recommended.
After sitting for 2 years, and only about a week of shakedown, the only thing that went wrong was a caliper started dragging and I replaced it in the garage of the airbnb in Florida.
GPTempDownload.JPG

IMG_0658 copy.jpg

IMG_0715.jpg
D96D9E78-742B-4A03-8AB1-67D8627E7B45 2.JPG

Now, the truck's hiding from the salt, I run it every dry day just so it doesn't sit, and in a few weeks I'll hop back over to driving it every night. Right now, I'm still stacking parts to build a 750-800 hp capable motor with a turbo setup from shane. Although at this rate, hopefully he's not retired by the time I'm ready to build it.

I got some carnage pics and some souvenirs when i finally disassembled my engine, I'll try and find the pictures later.

Shaggy

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
My stuff is at All Cape Machine in Hyannis.

Shit, it's been a minute.
I pulled the motor out of the silver truck I actually bought off a dude on here. Ran it for a little over a year, was a great truck to me, but the motor was always destined for my 250. View attachment 116238
Looking at that picture now I'm not sure why we tossed that 6 liter tailgate, out of the 4 we have at the shop it probably was the best.

Anyways, we were on a time crunch. With my old man's yukon at the dealer (for five months and eleven days, in the end) my f250 was the most reliable 4 door vehicle to take on vacation. Only it didn't have an engine.
View attachment 116239

The torque converter put up a hell of a fight but I got it in, lost a driveshaft, and still made it in time to take the family on a trip from Massachusetts to Shenandoah national park, Asheville, NC, Nashville, TN, and southwest Florida and back. I made time to meet up with some friends I'd met through a groupchat and until then never spoken in person, it was a great experience and the truck made it. The ride on 26 in and 40 out of NC are both truly gorgeous, as is driving skyline drive. Highly recommended.
After sitting for 2 years, and only about a week of shakedown, the only thing that went wrong was a caliper started dragging and I replaced it in the garage of the airbnb in Florida.
View attachment 116242
View attachment 116243

View attachment 116240View attachment 116241

Now, the truck's hiding from the salt, I run it every dry day just so it doesn't sit, and in a few weeks I'll hop back over to driving it every night. Right now, I'm still stacking parts to build a 750-800 hp capable motor with a turbo setup from shane. Although at this rate, hopefully he's not retired by the time I'm ready to build it.

I got some carnage pics and some souvenirs when i finally disassembled my engine, I'll try and find the pictures later.

Nice! Truck looks good. What's your plans for that donor truck?

Connor M

Reaction score
I’m not making a build thread for my 450 since it’s supposed to just be the work truck and this harley the nice one but I’ll post some pictures here.
2008 XLT I bought at 133k for $3500 with a broken rocker and half the engine in the back seat. Fixed that for under 100 bucks. Did some oil analysis and the motor seems in good shape. Was a switch n go truck in a past life, I bought as a c&c.weird set of options, door keypad XLT but also rubber floors and a dogleg 4x4.
I drove down to the western corner of VA for this bed in may of 2020, because I couldn’t get one anywhere closer. The wheels are JK motorsports direct bolt with phantom caps, dee-zee fuel tank, 3.5 readylift for a 350 gets me to 3.5 front and 5” rear with custom u bolts. Truck had an aftermarket hood and an xl grille on it when I got it, becuase it was in an accident I presume. I found a chrome package grille up in like winchendon or something. Got lariat seats and a console, rubber floors, alpine head-unit and sundown speakers. Got some amp steps already cut for an extended cab waaay out in new york for $400 but after the speeding ticket and inspection sticker ticket I got in the harley it might have been cheaper to buy a set online.

It’s fairly simple, I’m not into it for a lot at all but it’s a really nice truck, I work out of it awesome with the low side boxes, and it turns heads and generates some talk on jobsites. For now I’m just fixing little things before doing anything else major.
0A511C0E-DEBC-428E-A556-48214DBAC136.jpeg
06E5B7D0-00E7-4807-852E-E800C527CCD0.jpeg
6AE0D2F7-767B-4FD2-ADF0-455503DA6177.jpeg
33B0AD11-DC21-4DD7-B52A-9B035486FCEF.jpeg
EA83C81C-1002-414F-BB04-08EC287F49A6.jpeg

Connor M

Reaction score
Need a fuel pump for that donor motor. It’s making oil as I’ve said in other threads, a lot of oil, and it smokes constantly. I’m just going to replace the pump because I see no issues anywhere else. Should I go with the alliant power reman everyone sells or does anyone else reman a pump that’s different/better?

Connor M

Reaction score
I’m still running my 450 because I’m fighting my harley 250’s smoke and missfire issue. The beater work truck’s having very few issues while my nice truck never seems to stay running. But I did find a 6.7 console for it, I need to get the lower dash portion installed, that’s how these trucks should have come. The little console sucks compared to the flow through.

Started getting more parts for the motor at the machine shop, I’m thinking more and more every day that it’s probably something that’s gonna result in me putting another motor in the 250.

8FAC66C9-F212-43DD-8FAE-A8D85551A33C.jpeg

Connor M

Reaction score
Been a minute. I hate facebook groups, I’d so much rather talk to myself here than the idiots there.

250 ended up needing a whole fuel system. So I went with a punchout fuel bowl “replacement” kit (does the forum still censor the word delete?) and a fass 165. I eventually want to run dual pumps so it was a good time to get those parts. Also went with ported fuel rails on it. Stock injectors this cab pull though. Ran all new fuel lines, went with an AN wye for the return instead of cutting the neck or drilling the tank.
IMG_2522.jpeg

Btw, the instructions suck. Idk how they thought things would route but the suction line doesn’t work at least on my application. Had to source my own EFI fitting and route it slightly forwards and down before turning back, coming over the frame behind the fill neck and then into the pump. It wouldn’t make it without a kink the way their instructions show.

Don’t have too many pics, it was taking up space on my lift for far too long and I was rushing to get it back together. I’ve had the parts for at least a year, just been busy with work.

Installed a midwest ccv I bought off someone on here a long ass time ago iirc. Eventually found a nipple to fit the front, removed the plug and installed the stock ccv tube from the block to it, ran some 3/4 evil energy heater hose to the back of the cab along the frame for the output. It generates a little smoke/vapor out the wheel well so I think I’ll install a catch can and venturi into the exhaust.

Nothing else of interest on the 250. Gotta shake out some more issues from almost 2 years of sitting, pulled out the interior to evict some mice and added a good bit of dynamatt while I was in there.

Still on my marketplace grind, hoping this dude about 2.5 hours away gets back to me on shipping his no limit coldside kit. Half the parts on the truck came second hand, I’m a sucker for a deal. The ccv, the exhaust, down pipe, the intake and exhaust on my 450, and more. If you’re cleaning out the shop and are looking to unload some 6.4 parts hit ya boi up in the dms.

450 got sent out in early September to get the body sandblasted and painted. Just got it back yesterday after I had a new bedside welded in, the painter crushed the bed and tried to hide it with a half inch of bondo. Now I have to find a new painter. Nothing cool to talk about on that truck other than my experience with making so many lines for my 250 fuel system has my wanting to make a bypass filter setup for it. I have some heads kicking around and a handful of fittings I bought second hand along with billet fill and filter caps tapped for an fittings. The hard part is finding a decent spin on bypass filter to run. The filters I want to run are mostly discontinued.

I’ll get some pictures soon when it’s all buttoned up.

Whole lotta work on the 250 over the years to still have a stock truck lol.

TRUBBS

Reaction score
same as a 6.0, yes. Which also are plagued with lifter issues when the miles get up there. It is accentuated on six fours due to the fuel dilution mainly. If you had the engine apart, the 300+- dollars to put new lifters in is peanuts that may save you a rebuild down the road. Nothing like having a perfectly running engine wipe out a cam and send metal thru the whole thing.
I used to beleive this whole heartily (and still do replace them on every HG or engine job I do) however, with the quality (or lack there of) of ne parts anymore, its still a crap shoot on if you have a good or bad time. ive seen to many guys have new lifters fail in short order.

Long story short I guess im saying is, its a 6.4L it can blow up nay time, any day, for any reason at all

TRUBBS

Reaction score
Been a minute. I hate facebook groups, I’d so much rather talk to myself here than the idiots there.
I feel ya htere, I really miss the old days when the forums were popular! PSN/PSA/CompD. they were much better times. You would think with the amount of scam/spam on the FB groups, it would drive the forums back to the front

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
I used to beleive this whole heartily (and still do replace them on every HG or engine job I do) however, with the quality (or lack there of) of ne parts anymore, its still a crap shoot on if you have a good or bad time. ive seen to many guys have new lifters fail in short order.

Long story short I guess im saying is, its a 6.4L it can blow up nay time, any day, for any reason at all
It's getting worse and worse everywhere

Powerstroke Cowboy

Reaction score
On facebook there's not as much accountability. Plus anyone can advertise a part they make/sell without paying a sponsor fee. With the younger generation on Facebook, the sellers can target them a lot easier through Facebook. More sales, less overhead, and a bigger crowd is a win win for them.

With that said, forums are where the good information data base is.

Connor M

Reaction score
On facebook there's not as much accountability. Plus anyone can advertise a part they make/sell without paying a sponsor fee. With the younger generation on Facebook, the sellers can target them a lot easier through Facebook. More sales, less overhead, and a bigger crowd is a win win for them.

With that said, forums are where the good information data base is.
I think part of it is facebook forced everyone to be softer. The good old days where someone would say something really stupid, get flamed for 6 hours and then either leave the forum or get banned don’t happen on FB. Which means you get the same question 5 times a day, people sharing downright bad information, etc.

You’d think having someones real name and info would force more accountability but for some reason anonymous people on forums where actually producing better results than being linked to your facebook profile.

That and there’s no threading or organization is also a big problem.

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
Before covid, long before. I rebuilt my 6.0 and used at that time what were supposed to be the end all be all lifters with added oiling and stronger bearings blah blah blah, it roasted 1 right after6i sold it... Ugh it's a hard sell.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.