Goin' Low - Thanks to DJM!

hawgdoctor

Reaction score
Looks good bill, might have a factory rear sway bar at the shop if you're interested.....

sent from the shop making things fly.....

99powerstroke

Reaction score
Great write up and pics.. Should look great with the new wheels too... Now I can't wait to lower my dually...

Power Hungry

Reaction score
Choupique,

I appreciate it. If you can get me a weight on it, I'll e-mail you a UPS label. Either that, or just let me know what it costs and I'll send you a check. However, you'd like to handle that.

Happy New Year!

DBQLSC

Reaction score
Just though I would add for anyone that is looking to drop further than this using springs with the beams; Napa offers an ecentric bushing kit for the alinement that will adjust the camber way more than the stock ones. I used to do alot of bag and body drops for rangers for people because no one wanted to touch the twin i-beam. Kinda miss my ranger, body dropped, back-halfed,etc.

2wd-fire

Reaction score
Just though I would add for anyone that is looking to drop further than this using springs with the beams; Napa offers an ecentric bushing kit for the alinement that will adjust the camber way more than the stock ones. I used to do alot of bag and body drops for rangers for people because no one wanted to touch the twin i-beam. Kinda miss my ranger, body dropped, back-halfed,etc.

any more info?(part number) on this looking to drop my 2wd from 1-1.5 and i was just gonna cut the coils

mandkole

Reaction score
Good stuff...always appreciate seeing the lowered 2wd mods. In regards to the rear springs, are you saying that if the stock spring pack stayed, it would be about 3/4-1" higher than it is right now? I've been toying with the idea of a nice 2wd for awhile now (its been over a year since I had to lock the hubs in), so this is a fun read.

Power Hungry

Reaction score
Update:

On the rear, I tried a couple different combinations. On my particular truck, I have a 5 spring pack that looks like this:

22797exp.gif

The above image is for a 5+1 spring not a 4+1 spring like mine was, but you get the idea. I started by removing the lowest spring (spring 5, which is not really a spring but more of a support) which gave me almost an inch of drop right off the bat. However, the truck still rode like a truck. I don't haul anything or tow anything so I wanted to soften of the rear. I then took out springs 3 and 4 while installing the lowering kit in the rear. This actually gave me a nice ride and added almost 3" to the drop, enough so that I had to move the front spring mount to the middle setting and reinstall the stock rear shackle to get the frame off the axle. Now with a gas engine it might have been ok. However, the diesel engine produces so much torque that I was wrapping the axle enough to see almost 3" of pinion deflection under hard acceleration. Having the bed off sure is handy in identifying these kind of problems! I was also getting a ton of wheel hop, but having no weight on the rear certainly isn't helping that.

Anyway, yesterday I removed the spring pack and reinstalled spring 4 as it was stiffer than spring 3 and also provided the alignment cage for the ends of the springs to help prevent them twisting sideways. I reinstalled the springs in the same holes on the front perches and picked up about an inch in height, which is ok for now since I don't have the bed back in place yet. I'm thinking that once the bed is in place, it is going to level out nicely. The axle wrap is significantly reduced and I'm not getting any wheel hop now, even with the bed off.

Here is what the rear springs look like now...

(Click image to enlarge)
spring_pack_axle_sm.jpg

(Click image to enlarge)
spring_pack_cage_sm.jpg

I still have plenty of room for adjustment, I have what feels like a nice ride so far, and with a traction bar I should be able to eliminate any further axle wrap. Something along the lines of this...

SuperLift-Traction-bar1.jpg

Still playing with different things until I get the setup how I like it. As it gets more refined, I'll post updates. :D

Last edited:

rat49f6

Reaction score
Bill have u thought about a set of frint and rear sway bars from hellwig? I had them in my 2wd that had a djm 3/5 drop and the only body roll was from 265 series tires

ie
I could grab the bed rail and rock the truck side and the sidewall was the only flex

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Xparent Green Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

Lowdown89

Reaction score
Can't wit to see it with the bed on it!! Its really coming along nicely...., Im pretty sure once I get mine lowered I'm going to put a set of caltracs on it, along with the airbag setup I have... I don't really tow heavy with mine either but don't want it sagging when I hook up to the car trailer

Power Hungry

Reaction score
I hadn't looked at the Hellwig stuff yet, but definitely an option. Thanks for that info.

Jason,

Now that I have all the "learning" done on my truck, it's going to make your installation so much easier. BTW - Only thing I have left to do on your truck is install the new gears and adjust the shifting. There's a little fine tuning left on the engine, but nothing major. I'm sure you're ready to take it for a ride with the new tranny, injectors, and updated turbo. LOL

Lowdown89

Reaction score
I hadn't looked at the Hellwig stuff yet, but definitely an option. Thanks for that info.

Jason,

Now that I have all the "learning" done on my truck, it's going to make your installation so much easier. BTW - Only thing I have left to do on your truck is install the new gears and adjust the shifting. There's a little fine tuning left on the engine, but nothing major. I'm sure you're ready to take it for a ride with the new tranny, injectors, and updated turbo. LOL

Haha, yeah i have a few cummins in need of having their lunch money taken ..... Gonna start selling the left over parts from this go around so I can start collecting the parts for the new engine! :evil

DBQLSC

Reaction score
any more info?(part number) on this looking to drop my 2wd from 1-1.5 and i was just gonna cut the coils

Any good parts guy should be able to look up the part for you. I don't know the number. Just ask for alignment bushings. They will have several options, just ask for the ones that have the most degree.

Latest posts

Members online