Good first mods

BigBlue

Reaction score
I was wondering what some good first mods are for a 6.0. Right now I've got a 4' exhaust, K&N intake, and a bully dog tuner. I am planning on doing an EGR delete as head studs in the next couple of weeks. After that, what should I do for some horsepower gains? I was thinking about the AirDog II fuel system.

STROKER

Reaction score
Id also advice getting rid of the K&N there known to dust turbos.

BigBlue

Reaction score
Yeah I'm thinking about getting an SCT, heard they are good for the 6.0's. if not an airdog, what sort of fuel system should I run?

05wh250

Reaction score
Yeah I'm thinking about getting an SCT, heard they are good for the 6.0's. if not an airdog, what sort of fuel system should I run?

All depends on your goal for the truck. You can run a low pressure fass or air dog( not many problems out of those) or some people have started running the 6.4 fuel pumps as they are low pressure also. Also the low pressure pumps feed your stock pump so there is less strain on it.

Bubba88

Reaction score
1st) Ditch the K&N and either go back w/ the stock intake (i have one for sale) or get you an AFE or S&B kit.

2nd) Get yourself an Edge Insight CS or CTS, Scangauge, or some other form of monitoring equipment to check your vitals. This is help you to see if any repairs need to be made to the truck before adding performance goodies.

3rd) Say bye bye to the Bulldog and get an SCT along w/ some custom tunes from Gearhead/Innovative/Tony Wildman/Quicktricks/PHP to name a few.

Goodies:
STUDS / OEM Gaskets / FICM tuning (IDP or PHP) / Blue Spring mod / 6.4L Banjo Bolts / Zoodad Mod to name a few. The more power you want then the more you're gonna spend. It's an addicting thing but SOO well worth it.

*Honestly, the best thing to do right now is check the current health of your truck. After you have figured out where you stand on that then it's time to think the magic, ever changing question....Where do you want to be HP wise? What do you want to use the truck for? Let us these things and we can help you further on the mods list. The truck looks good from what I can see in the avatar :thumbup:

sootie

Reaction score
sct tuner with custom gearhead tunes. (if you want gauges get livewire ts)
if you have the 3-5 shift flare, get a modified direct drive solenoid.
head studs w/oem gaskets.
egr delete.
coolant filter.

for basic mods this is good. as mentioned above-getting a health report on your truck how it sits is the best place to start and then figure out your hp goal.

ghohouston

Reaction score
All of these guys had good suggestions. Id also change both fuel filters as most people neglect or dont even know about the lower filter.

BigBlue

Reaction score
The trucks in immaculate shape right now, only about 45k on the clock. Which is why I'd like to take these preventative measures. What kind of cost am i looking at for an SCT tuner with custom tunes? and what would be a good website for this stuff so I can avoid breaking the bank?

01PSD

Reaction score
Coolant filter setup FOR SURE. Dieselsite makes an excellent setup. Also, Steve@Absolute will be bringing to the market a setup as well (may already be out, not totally sure, send a private message to Powerstroke162)

Bubba88

Reaction score
You can search the classified and find a good used SCT - make sure it's unlocked/unmarried with unlocks left. I got mine for $250. Tunes are usually around $30-$50 each.

I would honestly look into getting a monitor/gauges before the tuning so you can watch your vitals.

BigBlue

Reaction score
Sounds good! How do I unlock the BD programmer from the truck? I'd like to sell it when I get the SCT if possible

Reaction score
All of these guys had good suggestions. Id also change both fuel filters as most people neglect or dont even know about the lower filter.

Which is funny, considering its the primary filter.. A bit of advise, If you are going to replace the primary fuel filter, buy the OEM's, as they'll come in a set, its located on the drivers side frame rail, and don't bother trying to put a pan under it because its mounted horizontally, and once you pull the filter fuel will run down the frame, spill out of the housing and go just about everywhere. But on the plus side, that side of the frame will never rust :clapping: change it in someone else's driveway! haha.

01PSD

Reaction score
Which is funny, considering its the primary filter.. A bit of advise, If you are going to replace the primary fuel filter, buy the OEM's, as they'll come in a set, its located on the drivers side frame rail, and don't bother trying to put a pan under it because its mounted horizontally, and once you pull the filter fuel will run down the frame, spill out of the housing and go just about everywhere. But on the plus side, that side of the frame will never rust :clapping: change it in someone else's driveway! haha.

We drained the fuel water separator first one time... and the filter came out without pouring fuel everywhere, not sure if it was a coincidence or not. LOL

buckcommander

Reaction score
1st) Ditch the K&N and either go back w/ the stock intake (i have one for sale) or get you an AFE or S&B kit.

2nd) Get yourself an Edge Insight CS or CTS, Scangauge, or some other form of monitoring equipment to check your vitals. This is help you to see if any repairs need to be made to the truck before adding performance goodies.

3rd) Say bye bye to the Bulldog and get an SCT along w/ some custom tunes from Gearhead/Innovative/Tony Wildman/Quicktricks/PHP to name a few.

Goodies:
STUDS / OEM Gaskets / FICM tuning (IDP or PHP) / Blue Spring mod / 6.4L Banjo Bolts / Zoodad Mod to name a few. The more power you want then the more you're gonna spend. It's an addicting thing but SOO well worth it.

*Honestly, the best thing to do right now is check the current health of your truck. After you have figured out where you stand on that then it's time to think the magic, ever changing question....Where do you want to be HP wise? What do you want to use the truck for? Let us these things and we can help you further on the mods list. The truck looks good from what I can see in the avatar :thumbup:
What does FICM tuning do for us? What is done to the FICM to make it more better? Im planning to do the updated fuel pressure regulator kit this weekend and I am stumped about either going with the 6.4 banjo's or I have read a few people do just a straight through elbow. Any thoughts on those differences?

Latest posts

Members online