Good first mods

NoSlow6.0

Reaction score
When I built my truck I did what I call reverse building. That is start building the truck to support your future mods. First thing I did was get myself a built transmission and triple disc converter. Even with a stock or mild truck you can pick up 50-75rwhp just by stopping any lost hp through slippage. I've seen multiple tests where this was proven to be a fact. And when you get those big sticks and fuel system down the road you won't be left sitting there on the side of it. Lol. Just a thought.

Bubba88

Reaction score
What does FICM tuning do for us? What is done to the FICM to make it more better? Im planning to do the updated fuel pressure regulator kit this weekend and I am stumped about either going with the 6.4 banjo's or I have read a few people do just a straight through elbow. Any thoughts on those differences?

In a nutshell, by tuning the FICM you will make the FICM open the injectors earlier and open them more. This is how you feel the quicker throttle response and some say a better cold start. IMO, the FICM tuning is a must have for anyone. I notice more of a difference with the tuning + stock sticks than I did when I put in the 175s.

Bubba88

Reaction score
Is FICM tuning different from just building a 58V FICM?

Yes. Since 99% of 6.0L injector problems are associated with the spool valve, the higher voltage of the 58vFICM can minimize intermittent injector firings (misfires), by creating a stronger magnetic PULL on the spool valve. The 58v FICM also moves the spool more quickly (mechanically), which slightly advances the mechanical injection timing...which is beneficial to both performance and fuel economy. (This info is from Swamps Diesel)

You will not see as much of a gain with FICM tuning on a 58v as you would on a 48v. We did a test-n-tune @ PHP last Feb. and most ppl were seeing 15-20hp gains tuning a 48v vs. around 10hp on a 58v because of the above mentioned information.

I got a 58v from Dave @ Swamps Diesel after speaking to him about the differences. Bill @ Power Hungry (PHP) installed the Atlas 80 FICM tune with it and I've never looked back. I've put around 50-60k miles on my FICM with no issues at all. I believe the monetary difference is like $65-$75 more for the 58v. Since I was already spending close to $500 for it, I said what's another $60.

weazel

Reaction score
Is FICM tuning different from just building a 58V FICM?

Yes it is different, It changes the software the FICM is programed with, much like when you tune the PCM, not entirely sure what they do being that I am computer retarded (like computer illiterate but to the extreme) but I can tell you it made a noticeable difference.

Sent from in a ditch up side down and on fire with the wheels still spinning

buckcommander

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. So it sounds like the 58V FICM will get me more life from my injectors? I am more concerned right now with getting everything reliable before trying to get more horses. Have you herd of people going with the straight thru elbow fittings rather than the 6.4 banjos? I found a right up from a company that makes after market banjos but it sounded more like a sales pitch. They believed their banjos allowed more fuel flow than the elbow route.

Bubba88

Reaction score
I've got some 6.4 style banjo's in my Regulated Return kit now but had 90* elbow fittings before. The fuel psi drop was right at the same ( withing 1-1.5 psi). If you're not going w/ a RR kit then just do the banjo bolts. Driven Diesel has some they make (several other Vendors do as well) that are more or less a 6.4 banjo w/ some a little more porting inside.

There is a noticeable difference between the 6.0 vs 6.4 banjo bolts though....you'll ask yourself why in the hell didn't they do this to begin with when you see the difference. haha

BigBlue

Reaction score
Getting ready to order ARP head studs, EGR delete and SCT Livewire TS tuner. Got a couple questions. From my understanding you need to get custom tunes for the SCT. Where would I get these? And as far as head studs, just called river city and they said it usually runs $3500 for a head stud job. To me this seems outrageous. How do I put in head studs myself? I've heard of doing them one at a time, but I'm unsure of how to do them. And I was wondering if I'd have to pull the cab

sootie

Reaction score
3500 is a reasonable price.

i would contact Gearhead for custom tunes. he is a vendor on this forum.

Pizza pig

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
$3500 is a great price, and it will be done right and taken care of if there is ever a problem. Gearhead for tuning.

BigBlue

Reaction score
Oh my. Is it even something that can be done myself? And I was also curious about the Zoodad mod and 6.4 Banjo Bolts..

Bubba88

Reaction score
Oh my. Is it even something that can be done myself? And I was also curious about the Zoodad mod and 6.4 Banjo Bolts..

I would recommend you let them do it. It's not just simply poppin out TTY bolts and replacing them with studs. The biggest part is making sure those heads are completely flat and the studs are torqued correctly. If the heads aren't flat it's just a matter of time before it's round 2.
Spend the money and let RCD do it. Like said above, they're great people, excellent customer service, and they know their chit. You don't be disappointed.

As for the banjo's and zoodad, you can do those yourself no problem.

BigBlue

Reaction score
Thanks for all the info guys! May be awhile before I have enough to stud the truck now. But may go ahead and do the delete and tuner. Might order 6.4 banjos as well. I will post updates when I get it all put in!

Bubba88

Reaction score
Thanks for all the info guys! May be awhile before I have enough to stud the truck now. But may go ahead and do the delete and tuner. Might order 6.4 banjos as well. I will post updates when I get it all put in!

Make you let the tuner know that you're on TTY head bolts. There's plenty of tunes out there for non-studded trucks.

BigBlue

Reaction score
Make you let the tuner know that you're on TTY head bolts. There's plenty of tunes out there for non-studded trucks.

I was hoping that was the case. I can't spend that kind of money ATM. Are they still pretty good tunes? I am looking for a few different go fast ones, tow/Econ sort of thing, and a lope tune. Not sure what you can do with stock bolts..

Latest posts

Members online