good shocks

Black_Pstroke

Reaction score
I'm in need of better shocks. Im currently running icon coils with bilstein 5100 shocks, and the truck has a borderline horrible ride for only having 2.5 lift. I have a 3 month old son and it bothers the wife that the truck bounces around so much. If it wasn't for the baby It really wouldn't bother me. So that being said I need some better shocks to hopefully smooth out the ride. Can this be done without dropping a grand on shocks?? I'm sure there are other threads on the matter but it is a pain to search on the phone.. thanks

travisH3

Reaction score
i was all set to order 5100's then heard everyone complaining they were on the stiff side so i got rancho rs9000xl on their spring promotion last year(which is going on now again i believe $100 rebate on 4 9000 series shocks, 4 wheel parts has the cheapest price on them) they ride awesome. i feel like my suspension actually works now where as with my 1.5" leveling kit and stock shocks it didnt move. Just put a set of these on my dads platinum as well and hes digging them

RSK

Reaction score
I'm in need of better shocks. Im currently running icon coils with bilstein 5100 shocks, and the truck has a borderline horrible ride for only having 2.5 lift. I have a 3 month old son and it bothers the wife that the truck bounces around so much. If it wasn't for the baby It really wouldn't bother me. So that being said I need some better shocks to hopefully smooth out the ride. Can this be done without dropping a grand on shocks?? I'm sure there are other threads on the matter but it is a pain to search on the phone.. thanks

honestly I think you are going to need to drop a grand on shocks and get just the fox shocks with resi's that seems to be the best ride out there, Icon 2.5's with resi's are probably very comparable, but also about 1000 dollars. you want that kind of quality that's the price to pay.

smokinstroker

Reaction score
honestly I think you are going to need to drop a grand on shocks and get just the fox shocks with resi's that seems to be the best ride out there, Icon 2.5's with resi's are probably very comparable, but also about 1000 dollars. you want that kind of quality that's the price to pay.

You can go with a fox 2.0 IFP for around 600 and get a very good ride.
The icon 2.5 resi is much more than a grand.

http://powerstrokearmy.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46977

Black_Pstroke

Reaction score
That's what I was afraid of!!

You can go with a fox 2.0 IFP for around 600 and get a very good ride.
The icon 2.5 resi is much more than a grand.
I

http://powerstrokearmy.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46977
I'm thinking about going with the 2.0 w/res. Just trying to decide between icon or fox.. is there much difference between the 2?? And thanks for the link. Ya I looked at the 2.5's they would be ideal but the set is closer to 2 grand.

smokinstroker

Reaction score
Yes there is a difference in the fox and icon shocks.

Fox's resi is a 2.0 where icons is a 2.5 so not really comparing apples to apples. Also the price of the 2.5 is on a different level.

Twan

Reaction score
I have a 2" spacer on the front of my 10, procomp shocks up front and stock in the back. It doesn't have a bouns on it, it also doesn't have a rear sway bar.

My 06 has rancho 9000's all the way around. Once you get them dialed in they are really nice, l leave my on 9 most of the time, to lazy to change them. Lol.

If you have a rear sway bar try taking It off to see if the ride is better. We put one on my friends truck and it started to bounce bad.

TripleE44

Reaction score
I just got the Fox 2.0s out of the Carli commuter kit and couldn't be happier as far as normal street driving goes. I'd definitely recommend them for your use...

smokinstroker

Reaction score
I just got the Fox 2.0s out of the Carli commuter kit and couldn't be happier as far as normal street driving goes. I'd definitely recommend them for your use...

Awesome to keep hearing you like them! Hope they keep impressing you.

RSK

Reaction score

I have no bounce in my truck as it sits now it takes bumps fine, but me and the op i believe want something that will absorb manhole covers, expansion joints on the highway, small things that most people wouldn't notice or care about probably.

TripleE44

Reaction score
And that's what these shocks are for. Its almost like the polar opposite of most shocks for our trucks that are setup for off road use that are stiff on the road but really shine off road and soak up everything. These soak up everything on road, but then get a little rougher off road or on really really ****ty roads.

They're perfect for me, as my truck rarely ever leaves the pavement.

smokinstroker

Reaction score
The fox 2.0 is right in between that carli valved fox 2.0.
For someone that wants a good all around shock it's a great choice.

As Eric said, the carli commuters are more for a street/daily application (but can handle some Offroad too)

Being picky about your ride is not a bad thing. The crappy roads make it less than enjoyable to drive the truck sometimes. That's why I run the fox's. Day after day they seem to keep riding smooth.

Black_Pstroke

Reaction score
Yes there is a difference in the fox and icon shocks.

Fox's resi is a 2.0 where icons is a 2.5 so not really comparing apples to apples. Also the price of the 2.5 is on a different level.
Just to make sure were on the same page, I was looking on Icons site and they are saying the 66152R is a 2.0 shock??
here is the link http://iconvehicledynamics.com/shop...d-25-lift-front-shock-20-aluminum-series.html
I have no bounce in my truck as it sits now it takes bumps fine, but me and the op i believe want something that will absorb manhole covers, expansion joints on the highway, small things that most people wouldn't notice or care about probably.
That's what I'm after!!
And that's what these shocks are for. Its almost like the polar opposite of most shocks for our trucks that are setup for off road use that are stiff on the road but really shine off road and soak up everything. These soak up everything on road, but then get a little rougher off road or on really really ****ty roads.

They're perfect for me, as my truck rarely ever leaves the pavement.
Are you running the 2.0 with the res. or without??? Thanks for all the input guys!!

Last edited:

TripleE44

Reaction score
Mine have no resi. They're not just plain fox 2.0s either. Carli took them and created their own valving intended specifically for street driving. I think they may also have a different piston in there but I don't know for sure.

smokinstroker

Reaction score
Just to make sure were on the same page, I was looking on Icons site and they are saying the 66152R is a 2.0 shock??
here is the link http://iconvehicledynamics.com/shop...d-25-lift-front-shock-20-aluminum-series.html

Are you running the 2.0 with the res. or without???

My mistake, figured you were comparing the 2.5 resi from icon like most do.

The 2.0 resi will be more comparable to the fox 2.0 resi yes.

Eric's carli valved 2.0 are non resi. They have been re valved with internal work from carli. Typically using the body and shaft only from fox.

Layson

Reaction score
I think either option will be great. But I would lean on the icon set since you have Icon springs. Figured they are probably a little more well matched.

Also, look into decreasing your air pressure on your tires. Don't run 65 psi everywhere when you are not towing. It can make just as much of a difference as shocks.

smokinstroker

Reaction score
I think either option will be great. But I would lean on the icon set since you have Icon springs. Figured they are probably a little more well matched.

Also, look into decreasing your air pressure on your tires. Don't run 65 psi everywhere when you are not towing. It can make just as much of a difference as shocks.

Very good advice that a lot of guys overlook on the tire pressure.

As for the shocks, the icons are a great option, and should not be overlooked. Icon seem to be a little stiffer and valved more towards the Offroad driver. But you can always send them in for a revalve for minimal cost if you think they are to stiff.

Layson

Reaction score
Very good advice that a lot of guys overlook on the tire pressure.

As for the shocks, the icons are a great option, and should not be overlooked. Icon seem to be a little stiffer and valved more towards the Offroad driver. But you can always send them in for a revalve for minimal cost if you think they are to stiff.

I spent all weekend long driving around in a 08 4" lifted superduty with the basic Icon kit and OUO traction bars. It road great, but then I got the tire pressure gauge out and the tire store set it at 65 psi. I dropped them down to the 40-45 range and walla.... big difference...LOL The owner of the truck was really impressed. I sometimes think that that makes more of a difference in ride quality than some of the kits.

For example, to compare two different lift kits you really need to keep the same exact tire setup. That way you actually know what you are getting. If you buy a kit and then also swap out your wheels down to an 18" rim and then drop the psi down a lot on the tires, it isn't even going to compare. One will ride extremely different than the other.

Black_Pstroke

Reaction score
I have a 2" spacer on the front of my 10, procomp shocks up front and stock in the back. It doesn't have a bouns on it, it also doesn't have a rear sway bar.

My 06 has rancho 9000's all the way around. Once you get them dialed in they are really nice, l leave my on 9 most of the time, to lazy to change them. Lol.

If you have a rear sway bar try taking It off to see if the ride is better. We put one on my friends truck and it started to bounce bad.
never really thought about removing the rear sway bar? I would think that would affect the truck in a negative way??

I usually run 50# in the tires while not towing. I only run 60-65# if towing as you stated. I read in another post you made about running 40-45# I will try to drop it down a little more see if that helps. thanks for the info guys