gt40

moose99psd

Reaction score
empire has a gt40 kit, i was looking into it and a set of hybrids prolly 230/100's... is this combo good? how does the 40 compare to a modded h2e? i couldnt find air flow numbers on it. i know a modded h2e flows around 1100cfm's and is journal bearing and the gt40 is bb, i was thinking the gt because it would start spooling a bit quicker and easier being a BB unit?

PowerstrokeJunkie

Reaction score
I have heard reliable sources say the 4094 is similar to to 38r however a bit bigger exhaust wheel for a little bit better drive pressure. Run a tighter housing with it if you can and it should perform well as many people use a 38r for that type of injector.

JAP

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
I've always thought the GT40 would be a great quick spooling DD turbo. Should be capable of supporting close to 500 rwhp too.

jimdawg185

Reaction score
I agree with Jap. But unless you are going after more than 5-550 I would stick with the 38r. Unless you need all new piping that is. Then you replace all that old stuff in the process.

moose99psd

Reaction score
well im rockin an early 99 so.. i want something diffrent then the 38r.. sure its a proven combo but thats boring.. im looking to shoot for right at 500. and a solid 400 in a tow tune. but im thinking i may need to throw gears at it first.. 37s on 373's with a stock turbo and injectors pulling 8500 up 8% grade and i can run the thing into the 1600's if i want.. had to kick down to 2nd more than a few times even with a good run at the hill..

moose99psd

Reaction score
jacob i was just looking at that... and 600 cheaper :D a motor build is a plan for the winter/early spring, with all this overtime and no end in sight i should be able to manage.. do you do discounts for multiple items ordered at once? :D gonna need some studs as well. and possibly send my rods out for cryo treatment.

Reubine

Reaction score
There are 2 different GT40s, the GT4088r & the GT4094r. They use them on 6.6L Dmax all the time but I've only seen 1 on a 7.3L. I know Reubine runs one on his OBS with a set of 238/100s.

Link to his old thread on PSN- GT40 installed

Yes i do still have it installed on the truck. I now have 300/200's with it now and have to say that its holding its own. It is a great charger even with the stage 1's i had all the way to the 238/100's that I just got rid of. Its defiantly getting out of its effiency range now but its a great dependable setup.

IMHO if I were to go it again I would run Irate's mount with this turbo and just do all the plumbing like I did on my own truck and it would have turned out great. Let me know if you have any other questions.

TARM

Reaction score
I am running a gtx4294r with a 1.15 and love it. The KASB which is the one built off the K31 is very close to a gt4294 as I understand it. Pius makes some very nice turbos no doubt. His work with WOPs input and testing turned out some awesome turbos IMO.

I think its best to look at the wheel sizes rather than getting stuck on model ids. It makes it easier to compare along with maps of course if you can get them. The issue as I see it with the 38R is it needs the larger turbine wheel that the 4094 has with wheel sizes of Comp:67.8mm / 94.0mm Turbine: 77.0mm The 4294 is Comp:70.3mm / 94.0mm Turbine: 82.0mm

PowerstrokeJunkie

Reaction score
Keep in mind Garrett measures their turbine measurement with the inducer and not the exducer. Backwards of the compressor wheel since air enters (in) the large side of the turbine and exits (ex) the small side. Both 42's have a 75mm turbine exducer

Latest posts

Members online