Gt4294

Jomax

Reaction score
Probably been beat to death. My DD has 250/100s. Trying to figure out what turbo to go with, I have a 38r, but the cost to make it work with my E99 makes me want to just throw it in the dually and go with a t4 set up on the e99.

The e99 is a DD, it runs in the desert quite often, in sand washes, etc, hunting. Dually is the main tow rig, but this one will tow aswell if needed. Sometimes up to 16k.

There's a gt4294 in the classifieds and that has me thinking. Would that turbo work well for me? Or do you guys recommend just running the 38r, get the needed part to convert, and just enjoy a solid 450rwhp.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

bruce

Reaction score
I would definitely get the 42 (especially for the money) and just buy a new t4 kit. No brainer on an E99

mandkole

Reaction score
That GTA42 is also a journal bearing unit? I'd expect it would light even slower than the BB'd 4294R and I don't think its water cooled either. Were they an OEM takeoff?

IMO, a lot of T4's get 'lived with' for towing and are best empty. It will want RPM to get the air moving and then it will tow good. For flat terrain, it will do good towing higher speeds in top gear (rpm) but will get under it if momentum is lost. Like I said in the ad post, if I had to tow 10K+ often I'd move back to a small housing. For a mostly empty driver, it will be fine and should make 500.

Lastly, you know its under the cowl all the time.. lol My wife says the truck sounds more like a jet than a diesel.

Jomax

Reaction score
Hmm, being loud under the hood doesn't effect me. I'm sure you heard a 38r. Those things sing.

Only thing im worried about is what you're saying about going under it, it is a JB, i believe taken off a Detroit 60.

I'll bet towing at altitude is crap?

Swaan

Reaction score
I would just invest in a 66mm holset h2e. Done. If your towing wieght your gonna be under the charger with that garrett. To big like always. Lol

Gearhead

Reaction score
I will let you know how a gtx4202 with a diverter valve works pretty soon but I don't recommend it for daily driving with a 1.15 housing. The gt4294 may have different specs than a standard one if it came off a big truck. The normal 4294 (esp the ball bearing model) is pretty drivable with a 1.0 divided exhaust on a 7.3.

FORD7.3

Reaction score
Im running an s366 with 250/100s for an option for you, havent towed with it heavy but light trailers and loads it moves just fine. Be interested to see how it tows heavy in the spring when I hook up to the goose neck.

Swaan

Reaction score
Your 366 will do fine towing , you'll just have to keep rpm over 2000 to keep egts in check.

FORD7.3

Reaction score
4.10 gears, everything is over 2k... lol and I have the colt stg2 cam so it spools stupid quick and stays nice and cool.

Jomax

Reaction score
So it seems I'm better off making the 38r work and be done... won't make 500hp, but my engine will probably last longer without blowing it up. I would hate to loose bottom end power with a gt4294 I guess, I'm getting spoiled with this E99 turbo, up top it's not impressive, but it lites quick..

Seemed like a good idea, I don't feel like spending 1500+ on a turbo when I have this 38r, the dually really doesn't need it. Tows amazingly well with just a ported housing.

Jomax

Reaction score
Im running an s366 with 250/100s for an option for you, havent towed with it heavy but light trailers and loads it moves just fine. Be interested to see how it tows heavy in the spring when I hook up to the goose neck.

Imo, the 38r is superior to the s366. I'll probably just use the 38r.

Jomax

Reaction score
Forgot to add, truck will have 37s soon with 3.73s. So the 38r is probably my best bet.

ghohouston

Reaction score
Shouldn't be terribly hard or expensive to find all necessary parts to do the late 99 swap, be it from a junkyard, or on forums... 38r is a damn good turbo, and I second it being better than a s366. You cannot beat a ball bearing turbo either.

Swaan

Reaction score
Agree, 38r would edge out the 366 on spool but about the same on flow. If you got a 38r already it's a no brainer

mandkole

Reaction score
So it seems I'm better off making the 38r work and be done... won't make 500hp, but my engine will probably last longer without blowing it up. I would hate to loose bottom end power with a gt4294 I guess, I'm getting spoiled with this E99 turbo, up top it's not impressive, but it lites quick..

Seemed like a good idea, I don't feel like spending 1500+ on a turbo when I have this 38r, the dually really doesn't need it. Tows amazingly well with just a ported housing.

I think you're doin the right thing. I didn't want to wiz on the idea because I like the 42. But I wanted to be clear on the towing tradeoff--I'd rather tow the car trailer with either of the stock turbo OBSs and their 4.10s.

Latest posts

Members online