GTP38R wicked wheel and EBPV delete

Pyromaniak001

Reaction score
Just finished the pedestal, output flange, wicked wheel, mishimoto 6.0 intercooler, new boots, and a Turbomaster wastegate controller.. Very pleased with the results!

Running TS box tunes before install and with stock 38r couldn't hit more than 17 psi on extreme tune (140hp +)

Did deletes, intercooler, and new boots, and added the wicked wheel and with the same box tunes (at 50hp setting) I'm seeing 28 psi now! World of difference!! Cleans up the smoke too, thankfully.

Taking the girlfriend out to a movie tonight so I'll be able to drive it more once traffic dies down. I'll post numbers for the other settings if I can get the pressure readings before it defuels and throws the SES light lol. Purchasing a boost fooler ASAP.

This is on stock sticks also.

Pyromaniak001

Reaction score
I adjusted the stock wastegate on the 38r as much as I could with it on the truck, and It improved about 5psi, but still nowhere near the 23psi I was seeing with the stock turbo. So I'm guessing I either had a boot leak, or a weak wastegate controller.
Either way, all that's been corrected and I'm much happier with this setup.

Pyromaniak001

Reaction score
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1361063314.376469.jpg

TyCorr

Reaction score
I adjusted the stock wastegate on the 38r as much as I could with it on the truck, and It improved about 5psi, but still nowhere near the 23psi I was seeing with the stock turbo. So I'm guessing I either had a boot leak, or a weak wastegate controller.
Either way, all that's been corrected and I'm much happier with this setup.

Why would a larger charger produce similar boost with no added fuel? In other words, 23 psi max boost on the stocker doesnt mean you'll get 23psi with a 38r. Not equal measurements.

As far as a.stock injector goes 26-30 psi will be the maximum a 38r will push. On a "race" tune. So if your tow file truly is making 28 then your race file wont.be much different.

under pressure

Reaction score
Cant really compare 38 & 38R peak boost, same tune.

The 38R wheel flows more cfm with less boost pressure.
The ex. housings also play a part in when you'll see peak boost pressure, due to driving the turbine wheels at different speeds.
Finally, wastegate adjustment can play a part in peak boost. Even if you tie both of the shut.

Dieselsite

Reaction score
As far as a.stock injector goes 26-30 psi will be the maximum a 38r will push. On a "race" tune. So if your tow file truly is making 28 then your race file wont.be much different.

All rules no longer apply. :naughty: The wheel changes the efficiency of the turbo. The turbo now moves more air per revolution and more boost per lb of drive pressure. So, same tune, same drive pressure now means more boost. I would be shocked if it didn't make 5lbs more than we are used to.

Bob

TyCorr

Reaction score
All rules no longer apply. :naughty: The wheel changes the efficiency of the turbo. The turbo now moves more air per revolution and more boost per lb of drive pressure. So, same tune, same drive pressure now means more boost. I would be shocked if it didn't make 5lbs more than we are used to.

Bob

I see the wicked wheel in the thread title now. Still 28psi in a 50hp tow tune, thats getting up there for boost with another "90hp" of chip left. If thats the case his truck is going to make 40psi in a race tune.

This may make the turbo less useable or need to be.gated.harder if using anything larger than stock injectors. We'll see when I throw 275/200s at one.

Pyromaniak001

Reaction score
Another month or so and I plan on tossing some 250/200s in and getting the chip reburned. For now, I gotta go to work tomorrow and I'll be down in south tx for three weeks. Can't work on it away from home like I can when I'm here. I'm just excited to have it pushing decent pressures and running properly lol

And FYI, when swapping wheels, be sure you mark the compressor housing so you don't have the same problem as me when you reinstall the turbo and have to adjust it to make the intake line up...

Dieselsite

Reaction score
I see the wicked wheel in the thread title now. Still 28psi in a 50hp tow tune, thats getting up there for boost with another "90hp" of chip left. If thats the case his truck is going to make 40psi in a race tune.

This may make the turbo less useable or need to be.gated.harder if using anything larger than stock injectors. We'll see when I throw 275/200s at one.

Bills testing was with the 38R/WW and 250/200s. He ran 44lbs at 603hp. I also think a wastegate is important. I have no problem with 40lbs with that turbo seeing as how much lower our DP/BP ratio is.

But on a side note, I think 275s might be too much injector for the 38R.

I'm running 250/80s in my 96 with an H2E, and 250/100s in my 99 with the GT4294x, but may switch to the "modded" H2E when my H2E standard and modded wheels are done.

Bob

TyCorr

Reaction score
25cc more. Ill tune it where I like it and go.from there. Should be fairly easy to replicate what Jason did with his. If nothing else the same tunes.could.be utilized for.a.baseline. My setup is very similar.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.