Guess im getting old, econo tune time.

Trqmnstr

Reaction score
Switched to erics economy file today and thought of something.

If everyone sees the best milage on the hottest tunes then whats the point of the econo tunes?
Truck sure runs quieter at idle.

Strokin89

Reaction score
I've wondered that too

2005 F250 6.0 powerstroke, 6 speed manual, egr delete, arp head studs, new oil cooler, aftermarket coolant filter, custom intake, 4" down pipe into dual 6" stacks, 8" lift, TSD super panty dropper tune.

Trqmnstr

Reaction score
My 82 mile commute has told me im getting quite a difference in milage. Gotta wait a few more days till i fill up again to calculate it out tho.

Truck is way more manageable, shifts way better but laggy and pretty slow of course. This econo file drives exactly like the stock tune just with a bit more grunt. Zero smoke.
Its slow but i like it. Lol

morepower02

Reaction score
Curious also. I have never seen a comparison between a high hp tune and a Eco as far as mpg.

Trqmnstr

Reaction score
I was getting 13 at best with ID x race tune. Deleted, cai and 4" downpipe back are all the mods it has that matter on mpg. 3.73 gears, ill hafta check tire size but they are whatever is the biggest you can run (realistically) without any lift.

Stroked777

Reaction score
Interested in results. As long as I can remember people always claimed better mpgs with the hottest tuning. In my 6.4 I usually keep it on performance. Maybe I'll go down to stock power and try that

NY_Mott

Reaction score
I get 17+ MPG with H&S canned hot tune at 80mpg and 15MPG at same speed in the mild tune.
I am sure Matts does better, hope some one can show some real results.

Trqmnstr

Reaction score
Im at a solid 17.5 mpg with Erics economy tune with normal driving/not babying the truck. Much better than the 13-14 i was getting with X race. Im sure my driving habits with the hit tune have a lot to do with it.

Stock tune i was right at 15 mpg.

Ive been playing around with driving this tune. It has plenty of power in the higher rpm's for passing/doing stupid ****. Up till about 1/2 throttle it acts exactly like the stock file with the exception of slightly faster and tighter shifts.
Basically for me its still a fun tune but is very tame down low. Its not gonna lay a spankin down on a hot tune truck but has plenty of power and at 17+ mpg calculated im impressed.

Last edited:

Midnite1987

Reaction score
What are you guys using for tow tunes?
I have the gearhead 8k tow that I run when pulling camper/rzr but it still leaves me wanting more.
Trailer weighed in at 3850#
The rzr/deck is around 1400-2000 depending on how much mud is on rzr lol

Any suggestions for a tow tune?
I noticed with the SRL tune I get some black smoke upon acceleration but with the tow tune I get none and the truck is working harder with the trailer.

There motor is completely stock aside from intake and exhaust.

86ec7244c50b5550c434f4127e0e7d7a.jpg

Trqmnstr

Reaction score
When i used to yank a jeep around i just used the stock tune. I didnt rly trust anything else, all the "can tow up to 8k or 6k" seems very general to me. Would that be 8k in the plains on a 70 degree day or 8k here in the mountains when its 90? Lol

Stared testing on IDP's X race.
I realized i didnt give it a fair shot with my 13-14 mpg estimate. I know its around there somewhere but ill have the real numbers in a few days to see exactly what its getting.
Same exact miles, same gas from the same damn pump even! Haha

dsberman94

Reaction score
When I ordered my economy tune from gearhead he told me it was a lot of changing in the shift point. It's usually in OD by 45 mph on my truck. I had him open that up to 50mph because of the hills around here and most speed limits are 45 on those roads. It would just lug and smoke without enough throttle to make it downshift. It's good for city driving but I usually switch to the extreme tune once on the highway gives better cruising mileage. And has power for accelerating when merging or spacing myself to get room to merge and not get pinched behind slower traffic.

drunk on diesel

Reaction score
most eco tunes aren't true eco tunes... they're just milder/safer tunes

a true eco tune is going to have very limited smoke output and utilize fairly high timing at light load/cruising

Trqmnstr

Reaction score
So the IDP's economy tune won the battle by a good margin.
Eco is 17.25 mpg
X Race is just under 15 mpg

Now im wondering if the torque converter being locked in all gears has anything to do with the milage from X race.

I attempted to see what X Street would get but i think the file got messed up when i downloaded it. It shifts so hard im afraid somethings gonna break and the 3-5 flare is rly bad with that file.

Mdub707

Reaction score
Stared testing on IDP's X race.
I realized i didnt give it a fair shot with my 13-14 mpg estimate. I know its around there somewhere but ill have the real numbers in a few days to see exactly what its getting.
Same exact miles, same gas from the same damn pump even! Haha

I did this same test when I first got my tuner. I specifically ordered the SCT with the hopes of increased mileage. I sold myself on the idea that the tuner would pay for itself in no time with the amount of driving I was doing.

I loaded Eric's economy tune up. I intentionally tried driving as reasonable as possible. My goals when driving were try not to go above 2k RPM, and try not to go more than 10psi on the boost gauge. Seems easy on paper, near impossible in the real world. I filled up using the fill til you see method, and drove for 1 entire tank full. Filled up and recorded 15.1mpg. This is on my truck in sig, SC/SB 4x4 auto. Everything else was BONE stock at the time, intake and exhaust were stock too. Everything.

After having the patience to drive like that for an entire tank full, I said, to hell with this! I loaded up X-street, filled up my tank again, seeing fuel in the neck and continued to drive like a complete crazy man. Boosted launches, high speed runs, tons of full throttle pulls etc. I pull in to fuel up my tank and laugh to myself at how bad it will be. Run the calculation.... 15.3mpg. Wait, what? I got BETTER mileage on a hotter tune driving like a tard. Maybe I wasn't hard enough on the economy tune and wasn't really using the power correctly. Right? That's what I asked myself. Then I realized, who cares? I never used my economy tune again.

I contacted Eric some time after and mentioned this to him and he sort of chuckled and said something along the lines of everything you read on the forums, "Yeah, the hotter tunes offer better mileage typically, the economy tunes are more for when your wife or buddy is driving your truck...."

No more economy for me. Not what I bought the truck for anyhow. I can't blame guys for trying to get better mileage, it makes sense financially. Just don't be upset when you find the same thing I did. I'm tempted to try mine again. That was like 6 years ago.

powerlifter405

Reaction score
When I discussed this w/ eric when I had my 6.4 he mentioned, IIRC that the race/hotter tunes have more timing and pw at lower throttle thus getting and maintaining speed better. Once driving speeds are reached you have less pedal input and less fuel but more timing making up the power difference. On VGT trucks this is more pronounced vs a non-vgt because the vains can be manipulated to improve drivability.

Strokin89

Reaction score
When I discussed this w/ eric when I had my 6.4 he mentioned, IIRC that the race/hotter tunes have more timing and pw at lower throttle thus getting and maintaining speed better. Once driving speeds are reached you have less pedal input and less fuel but more timing making up the power difference. On VGT trucks this is more pronounced vs a non-vgt because the vains can be manipulated to improve drivability.

Same thing on my old mans 6.4 the hottest tune has given him the best mileage even when he beats on it seems to get better mileage with hotter tune.

2005 F250 6.0 powerstroke, 6 speed manual, egr delete, arp head studs, new oil cooler, aftermarket coolant filter, custom intake, 4" down pipe into dual 6" stacks, 8" lift, TSD super panty dropper tune.

crash86

Reaction score
I have a 2006 with gear heads srl tune (no studs yet) and the best I can get is 12.5mpg hand calculated. I drive it pretty easy 95% of the time and still in the 12s. Anyone else?

Latest posts

Members online