H&S Minimax Poor Shifting?

bpan

Reaction score
HI, I just got my 2011 6.7 about a week ago. It came with a H&S MiniMax installed on it. Under power it shifts good, however if I am going from 4th to 5th very slowly, from about 60km/h to ~75km/h it does an awful hard shift. It seems to shift, then flair, then shift hard again.

My previous truck was a 2010 6.4 with a Spartan tuner, I was not happy with the shifting on it. I brought it to a guy here in Canada by the name of Brian Wall, who did a custom EFI Live tune on it and wow what a difference.

My question is: is there a problem with my truck or should I just get it tuned by Brian again or is there something I can do with the MiniMax to make it shift properly?
Thanks!

sootie

Reaction score
there was a tsb for valve body issues on the 2011's it could be hard parts causing your issues not tuning.

Notneb

Reaction score
Did you do a re-learn for the transmission? My 2012 F350 with a mini maxx did that exact same thing when I loaded new tunes, always had to do the re-learn. Go on H&S website for the re-learn procedure. Your best bet too is to keep it in one setting, don't switch back and forth from street to performance or tow etc. I kept mine in performance unless I needed to tow heavy.

BOHICA256

Reaction score
It could be the valve body issue, I had hard shifts from 2-3 and 4-5 and would hesitate them slam into reverse. Early build 2011. Took it to the ford house for the tsbs for those issues and they ended up replacing my transmission under warranty (I was stock at the time) if it's still doing it after the relearn I would bet it's the valve body issue.

bpan

Reaction score
Would anyone be able to cross check my VIN to see if there is a TSB on this?

bpan

Reaction score
Did you do a re-learn for the transmission? My 2012 F350 with a mini maxx did that exact same thing when I loaded new tunes, always had to do the re-learn. Go on H&S website for the re-learn procedure. Your best bet too is to keep it in one setting, don't switch back and forth from street to performance or tow etc. I kept mine in performance unless I needed to tow heavy.

Ill try this, haven't done it yet. I don't mess with the settings although the shop that saftied it did for some stupid reason...
Thanks for all the help guys!

bpan

Reaction score
Exactly!!

I can guarantee you guys this is what he is doing, he does them all. Cummins, Powerstroke, Duramax. He's super reasonable too. $1000 CAD initially, and all future tuning is free!

TrickTruck

Reaction score
My truck had the reverse delay issue as well. What's happening is that the pump is leaking down and when you start up and throw it into reverse right away there's a 2-3 sec delay before it engages.

This is a hardware warranty issue. Don't know if Ford will cover it now that you are out of warranty, but I had no issues in warranty and tuned.

Also had shifts like you describe with the stock mm tunes. However it was 1000 times worse when I tried the KEM tunes so I can say for sure that tuning does effect it.

The 'second shift' you are feeling is probably a shift, then late converter lockup. I had this too, most noticeable when leaving my house, there's a long hill to climb and I don't like to hammer the truck when it's cold, so it's a light throttle shift thru the gears. 2-3 felt like 2 distinct shifts, first the trans would shift, then the converter lockup a few sec later.

I took it in for the reverse delay problem. No issues w tuner and corrected the shifts too.

It is a 'pull the trans' repair so if they don't warranty expect a lot of labor. You may have some luck going thru Ford and getting them to pay for parts and you pay labor. They offered to do that on my radiator, which was out of warranty (it's another known failure point.)

Recently got gearhead tunes. Truck has never shifted so well.

Last edited:

Randy_270

Reaction score
HI, I just got my 2011 6.7 about a week ago. It came with a H&S MiniMax installed on it. Under power it shifts good, however if I am going from 4th to 5th very slowly, from about 60km/h to ~75km/h it does an awful hard shift. It seems to shift, then flair, then shift hard again.

My previous truck was a 2010 6.4 with a Spartan tuner, I was not happy with the shifting on it. I brought it to a guy here in Canada by the name of Brian Wall, who did a custom EFI Live tune on it and wow what a difference.

My question is: is there a problem with my truck or should I just get it tuned by Brian again or is there something I can do with the MiniMax to make it shift properly?
Thanks!

You talking about Wall's Rod and Custom in Winnipeg? I remember reading about a guy on powerstroke.org was convinced that Wall's EFI live tuned his 2011 6.7 Powerstroke. Don't know what he is actually using to tune the Fords, but seeing how EFI live does not support any model of Ford, I would be very skeptical about letting him tune my truck.

bpan

Reaction score
Walls does great work. Don't doubt their abilities at all. Brian is a great guy to work with and is very knowledgeable.

bpan

Reaction score
Update on the truck. The Ford updates were not done. So they did them. Then tried to update the Mini max to match. Apparently H&S doesn't support updates anymore. So that piece of sh*t is going in the garbage. Walls tune will be in by noon. So dissapointed in the H&S....

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.