H & S trans tune question???

bdm1981

Reaction score
Installed all of my goodies from No Limit, updated the Mini Max and downloaded the calibration for my truck. Loaded it on the truck and took it for a test drive and noticed at 55mph that the trans was staying in 5th gear. Never went into 6th gear till about 65mph. Everything works good and the trans shifts really well. Didn't know if it needs more drive time for the trans to relearn or if its normal. I don't feel comfortable with it being in 5th at 55mph cause thats mostly what I drive going to and from work. Any input would be appreciated...

Notneb

Reaction score
First: 55mph in 5th vs 6th isn't a massive fuel consumption issue. Second: I'd give anything to have your issue, mine just up shifts to 6th as quick as it can so I pretty much keep it in "M" unless I'm on the freeway. Contact Mike @ No Limit, if it really bugs you, I'm sure he can fix it!

bdm1981

Reaction score
Thanks. Not so much the fuel consumption issue. More worried about hurting the trans with it staying in 5th most of the time.

bdm1981

Reaction score
I guess I was so used to the way the truck was before I kind of expected it to be similar after I did some upgrades. Everything works great. Was just a little concerned what it would do long term if it stays that way. Appreciate the input guys. I'll probably give Mike a call tomorrow to see what he says.

Sterling6.7

Reaction score
You might let it learn for a few hundred miles and see what patterns it settles into before you get too worried about it. They adapt pretty well, usually.

bdm1981

Reaction score
Well I thought maybe trying that first. I didn't have a whole lot of time in it today after the install. Just drove it to town and came back home to look it over after I took it for a test drive.

Notneb

Reaction score
Try a trans relearn before you call Mike:
1: Find a road you can hit 80mph on and stop quickly on without traffic.
2: From a dead stop accelerate with 1/4 throttle to 80mph, then slow down to a dead stop.
3: Repeat using 1/2 throttle.
4: Repeat using 3/4 throttle.
5: Repeat using WOT.

After that, drive normally. If it still does it, call Mike!

bdm1981

Reaction score
I hear ya. Been working on the truck off and on all week. Was pretty excited to get it running again. Really wanted to see how the truck reacts with the changes I made. Had to drive the wife's car all week going to and from work. I was glad to get my truck going again. I hate driving a small car...

dsmracing1

Reaction score
adjust the shift points with MCC

Like drunk on diesel said, for several people in this, there are several options to help you shift points before going to a full gear change. There are several different MCC tuners that do this so I would possibly look into this. It would drive me absolutely crazy to have to drive around in Manual because I didn't like how my trans shifted too quick or too late. I made a simple call to my tuner, got a new trans fine with refined shift points and was driving down the road happy as could be with these new shift points.... It does come to a point where you need gears simply because of the shear size of tire one might want to run or the factory gear ratio in the truck itself.

bdm1981

Reaction score
I may look into that. I'm not a tuner by any means and wouldn't look into doing that myself. May look at getting MCC tunes from Mike.

Notneb

Reaction score
Mines getting a trans from Morgan soon, so I don't feel like getting the shifting messed with, but yeah driving in manual is just ugh... Wtb paddle shifters...lmao

Reaction score
When you say you installed the H&S calibration, what are you referring to? Did you install one of the H&S Motorsports calibrations?

bdm1981

Reaction score
I didn't get an H&S kit but it's similar to what you guys sell. Stock fuel Non VGT turbo calibration is what I downloaded Dallas.

Latest posts

Members online