Hard start issues, help needed

wint

Reaction score
Been fighting hard start issues on my truck for about a month now. Started a fee weeks before taking my 250/200s out. Then it would only be when the engine was up to operating temps. Now over a month later I'm having issues with it starting in general. Also coming down to idle its been wanting to die also. I'm kind of at a loss as to what it is. HPOP doesn't show signs of failure (SRP1.1). Any help or ideas would be great. Would like to get a good idea before throwing parts at it.

Copracr

Reaction score
Well, First thing I'd do is put a FP gauge on it and drive it around. See if it's falling off. Then check codes, check your HPOP psi's and %, then do a CC test.

I'm assuming you've already looked at the glow plug system too. Hopefully someone smart will chime in and give you more than my generic advice though.

wint

Reaction score
Thanks for the response. I have checked codes and it didnt show anything. HPOP makes good psi. I checked the % and it was normal. ( cant remember exact number but was told its normal.) I have not however checked the Fuel PSi.

Copracr

Reaction score
Thanks for the response. I have checked codes and it didnt show anything. HPOP makes good psi. I checked the % and it was normal. ( cant remember exact number but was told its normal.) I have not however checked the Fuel PSi.

I've learned the hard way - check the fuel pressure while driving first. It just rules out an easy fix and a common malfunction.

OldschoolPSD

Reaction score
Bad injector o-rings will cause a hard start. ICP will read real low when cranking but once it fires it will hold normal pressure. Plug in a scanner and watch icp while you crank.

assuming you did the smart thing and checked the glow plugs first

wint

Reaction score
Ill check the fuel PSI first chance i get. Ill have to come up with a gauge first. Injector Orings are brand new barely 1k miles on them. And yes the glow plugs are good. Thanks for the responses guys.

Latest posts

Members online