Hard to get out of park.

itsallinthestroke

Reaction score
My friend has a early 6.0 and is difficult and sometimes almost impossible to get out of park. The truck has been to a dealer that changed the third brake light which helped for a while and now it is doing it again. Any Advice would be helpful. Thanks

ithumpwheniwalk

Reaction score
wow... I'd be a little hesitant saying that changing a lightbulb helped with the tranny, but I guess anything's possible. Maybe have him check the headlights or the interior cab light?? It's worth a shot!

j/k, here's a bump for ya though. a little more info might help with a diagnosis.

Last edited:

itsallinthestroke

Reaction score
I remember reading something that said that that tail light was wired into the sensor that let the shift lever come out of park but I cant remember what model that was for. Ill try to get any information that you need but thats about all I have right now.

El chupacabra

Reaction score
I have trouble with my brake shift interlock too. Sometimes I have to shut the engine off shift to neutral then restart pisses me off there has to be a a way to eliminate that switch.

-Jake-

Mdub707

Reaction score
Can someone elaborate on the 3rd brake light causing issues here? My 3rd brake light bulb has gone out almost yearly and two years ago I had a freak thing happen where all of a sudden my shifter was nearly impossible to move, and when I put it back to park, the cable actually broke. Took it apart and it definitely didn't look like it was worn, it was snapped in the middle, all the individual pieces of the twisted cable broke. Couldn't believe it...

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
Most likely the bushings in the steering column are not keeping the shifter column in place to allow interlock to disengage.. pop the column cover off and shift it, see if entire shifter tunnel moves...

chappy

Reaction score
I can actually help on this. My truck did this and it drove me nuts. I couldn't figure it out and I thought I would try the stop light switch under the dash. It senses when you push on the brake pedal and shuts off the cruise control,actuated the brakes lights,and lets the truck know you are pushing on the brake pedal so you can take the truck out of park. My lights were working but some times I could not get the damn thing out of park without playing with the column shifter and constanley pushing down on the brake pedal. I also had the cruise control not want to disengage by pushing on the brake pedal. This sensor cost $10 bucks and is located under the dash. I fought with the damn truck for a year before trying this part. worth a shot. No idea why it went bad. Make sure this part fits his truck. This one is for an 04 ,not sure if they are different for the years. Let me know if it works. pretty sure its what the other huys are calling the brake interlock switch. Autozone always calls them something else.
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/pa...Duty-P-U-4WD/Stoplight-Switch/_/N-jm453Z9cias

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online