Have a U0106 code

wjamesm

Reaction score
Yesterday i was moving my skid loader to and from a quick job . The trip to the jobsite was fine , truck started and ran like it always does . When i got to the jobsite i had to unload on the side of the road so i left the 4 ways on . I did the job which took about 45min. loaded the skid back on the trailer and went to start the truck and realized i left the headlights on , turned them off and tried to start the truck . The truck cranked over fine but no start and when i left off the key it was still turning over for a couple of seconds after i left off the key . Tried to start it again and i cranked and cranked and tried to start right when i left off the key for the second time . Waited about 30 seconds and hit the key again and it started . I though that the batteries (original battery's) may be needing replaced and leaving the lights on might have done them in but it turned over with alot of speed . Made it home and shut the truck off to unload and went to start it again and it cranked for like 5 seconds and then started . I have my mini maxx on the truck (2011 with 103K miles) but haven't removed the emissions stuff yet . The only other mod is my No-Limit stage 2 intake . I have been running the truck with the P20E9 and P208B codes , These are from the DEF pump . The other code i had was U0106 Lost communication with glow plug module . I checked the battery's with the volt meter and resting voltage was 12.6 and running voltage was 14.0 . I also changed the fuel filters to eliminate them from the equation , there was no debris or water in the filter bowl . I read that there are a couple of systems that are tied together that could cause the code . I pulled the plugs on the NOX boxs and sprayed them with electrical contact cleaner , They look fine , no corrosion that i could see , Also pulled fuses 34 through 37 to see if any were blown but all checked good with the continuity test with the volt meter . So i don't think it's the Nox boxes shorted out . I cleared the U0106 code but it comes right back , also the glow plug light in the instrument cluster doesn't come on . I am leaning towards the Glow plug module . I there a way to test using a voltmeter ?

Sterling6.7

Reaction score
Sorry, I'm not much help with the glow plug module. Might still be the batteries. From reading on here, the 6.7s seem to need batteries about every 4-5 years and seem to cause similar issues when they are near death. It cranks fine, but some electronics don't care for them. Might be worth having them load checked and/or replaced anyways.

wjamesm

Reaction score
Load checking the battery's is on the top of the list to do . The truck is starting normally now , normal cranking times . But still have the U0106 code . I had the truck running and cleared the code out with the mini maxx and the check engine light went out , then went back into the engine diagnostics on the mini and the code was still showing up , So thats whats leaning me towards the glow plug module . if anybody has any suggestions on what else to try after i check the batterys .

wjamesm

Reaction score
Well I eliminated the possibility of the batterys being the problem . bought 2 new ones . I put my voltmeter on the original batterys where i could see it when cranking , they went down to 11.0 volts briefly when cranking . The new batterys i did the same and they pulled down to 11.25 so the originals must not have been that bad . Still have the extended cranking and get the U0106 code only . Like i said in the previous post i have had the P20E9 and P208C codes for awhile but never had any problems , I wasn't to worried as i was going to do a E G R ****** soon . Haven't been able to find anything on testing the glow plug module . I really don't want to buy parts without knowing there bad , but thats what i am leaning toward right now .

wjamesm

Reaction score
Well i figured out what the problem was .Originally i replaced my turn signal stalk when my wipers wouldn't shut off . After i installed the new stalk my washer fluid wouldn't work , I pulled the washer tank out to test the pump and by the way is where the glow plug module is . Well i had to unplug the module to get the tank out and when reinstalling the plugs back on to the module I didn't feel them click in place but didn't think much of it . well long story short they weren't latched like i thought they were and must have backed out enough to lose contact . The strange part is when i tried to reinstall them this time they wouldn't latch as hard as i could push on them . I even tried to use channel locks . As a last resort i pulled out the rubber weather seal and they then latched . So i filled the connectors with dielectric grease and reinstalled them .

wjamesm

Reaction score
Well problem partially solved . Loose connectors to the glow plug module fixed the U0106 code but truck still has the extended cranking and the starter will stay engaged when i let off the key untill i turn it off . Going to check the frame mounted fuel filter for air leaks as i changed it when this all started . I can here some gurgling sounds from it when i turn the key to the run position . Also going to fuel up i usually keep it above 1/2 tank and it's at 1/4 now .

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.