Head gaskets ?

BLK

Reaction score
6.4 no mods. Loses coolant out the degas cap only sometimes but mostly while hauling or towing light loads.
No white smoke, no coolant in oil, truck runs normal- strong.

Mechanic says EGR cooler is fine but motor needs head gaskets. Wouldn't I see coolant in the oil?

jus10keith

Reaction score
Not necessarilly. I had the same issue with mine and it was just letting the excess cylinder pressure into the cooling system and blowing it out the de-gas bottle.

f350guy

Reaction score
Does he know there are two EGR coolers?

My truck (original owner, Job 2, '09) lost the horizontal cooler years ago. Around 40-60k I guess. No internal coolant showed on the oil samples. Only way I noticed it was leaking out of my EGR blockoff plates!

sootie

Reaction score
i would strongly suggest checking the egr coolers. they are prone to cracking.

Head gaskets are extremely rare on stock trucks

kleake

Reaction score
Like the others mentioned, EGR coolers are the first suspect on a stock truck, but I just went though the head gaskets on mine because of the exact symptoms you are having. Mine started only when towing or staying on the throttle hard for more than 2-3 seconds. Eventually it got bad enough I couldn't go over half throttle and it would do it. Head gaskets and studs (along with several other preventative items) fixed her up. How many miles are on yours?

ajklaus97

Reaction score
Mine is doing the same thing. Except my egr is ******d. Did a coolant pressure test and it never once went over 16.5, 17 lbs. Dealer says needs head gaskets. Not trying to high jack the thread or anything just seeing everyone's thoughts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kleake

Reaction score
If yours is puking under heavy throttle, and is del-ted, you likely are looking at gaskets. I just did mine for the same reason. Got a big thread of the repair.

Sent from my SM-G935R4 using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.