Headstuds on factory gaskets

Reaction score
Recently had headgaskets tested and we are goods no exhaust gases entering system so now the question is should I just stud it and leave factory gaskets or do I need to pull heads and still do new gaskets before I stud it. Hoping to just be able to stud on factory gaskets and run from there.

patricku47

Reaction score
The only right way to do it is to pull the heads and install new gaskets. You can stud them one at a time but I would be willing to bet the gaskets would start leaking sooner or later....

04stroker

Reaction score
Im with all of the above. However though, I have studded one at a time on personal trucks and had great success never had an issue the couple of times I have done it on my personal truck but it still takes awhile. So for me it comes down to this. I would not pay someone the labor to do studs one at a time I would rather just put that money towards having someone do it once and do it right. BUT if you are capable of doing it yourself why not try? You will only be out your time doing it. If it does not work you can reuse the studs so your not at a loss. So for me it comes down to whether you are doing the work yourself or not.

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
I have never tried one at a time, as it is cheap insurance to get them off and replace them with fresh. Have the heads checked and cleaned up while youve got it apart, and id throw a fresh oil cooler in as well.

co04cobra

Reaction score
Im with all of the above. However though, I have studded one at a time on personal trucks and had great success never had an issue the couple of times I have done it on my personal truck but it still takes awhile. So for me it comes down to this. I would not pay someone the labor to do studs one at a time I would rather just put that money towards having someone do it once and do it right. BUT if you are capable of doing it yourself why not try? You will only be out your time doing it. If it does not work you can reuse the studs so your not at a loss. So for me it comes down to whether you are doing the work yourself or not.

Exactly the same thing I have done before. If you can do it yourself you're not out that much to try it.

06regcab6.0

Reaction score
I did them one at a time on my truck 25K miles ago, and it just started puking as im pretty hard on it. but on a stock truck it might be ok

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.