Heat wrap on 4' downpipe?

FORDY2

Reaction score
:pint:This may be a stupid question but I was thinking of using hedder wrap on my down pipe? Has anyone done this? Is it too hot will ruin the down pipe if its aluminum with such hight heat? Will it raise your EGT? I;m sure you can do it with a Stainless Steel exhaust kit. Or is this just a :badidea:
Personnally I think its a good idea. Planning on doing it, unless guides me the other way.:shrug:

alradco

Reaction score
I've always been told that the wrap traps condensation over time and ruins whatever you're wrapping. The right way to do it is to have it high temp coated.

CSIPSD

Reaction score
Will do nothing, protect nothing and be nothing but a waste of money.

And its not aluminum, its Aluminized, which is a coating.

Skip...

GreasyFingers

Reaction score
I wrapped my down pipe, I had some 2” black wrap lying around and I figured what the hell. It’s been on for nearly a decade and still looks good and tight. My exhaust is 409ss so there is no issue with rust and I think the idea of exhaust wrap holding in moisture is crazy. How hot is post turbo EGTs? If it does anything it would keep under hood temps down.

FORDY2

Reaction score
I wrapped my down pipe, I had some 2” black wrap lying around and I figured what the hell. It’s been on for nearly a decade and still looks good and tight. My exhaust is 409ss so there is no issue with rust and I think the idea of exhaust wrap holding in moisture is crazy. How hot is post turbo EGTs? If it does anything it would keep under hood temps down.

Good to hear Thanks for the input. I agree I think it would help keep under hood temps a little lower, I was hoping for maybe just a littler quieter too.

Twan

Reaction score
I will be wraping my manifolds up pipes and down pipe, it's cheap, easy to do, and will keep heat away from the motor and trans. 1* lower is better than nothing. Lol.

Last edited:

caladash

Reaction score
I wrapped my up-pipes and about halfway down on my down pipe. Been wrapped for a few years with no issues. Still looks good as well.

weazel

Reaction score
I wrapped my down pipe, I have no issue with it holding moisture. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1359433492.687037.jpg
And since I had it laying around it was free

Sent from in a ditch up side down and on fire with the wheels still spinning

Strictly Diesel

Reaction score
Will do nothing, protect nothing and be nothing but a waste of money.

I don't agree Joe. I've got several pieces of the exhaust in my race engine wrapped and while the wrap still gets hot, it's not nearly as hot as the bare pipe. I know because I've laid my arm on it...and still have my skin. I wouldn't leave my arm there...but it certainly does it's job.

Only downside, if you have to work around it, it's like fiberglass insulation...it's irritating to the skin.

CSIPSD

Reaction score
I don't agree Joe. I've got several pieces of the exhaust in my race engine wrapped and while the wrap still gets hot, it's not nearly as hot as the bare pipe. I know because I've laid my arm on it...and still have my skin. I wouldn't leave my arm there...but it certainly does it's job.

Only downside, if you have to work around it, it's like fiberglass insulation...it's irritating to the skin.

What benifit does it offer? Lower underhood temps when sitting in traffic?

IMHO there is no benifit, and several down sides to it.

I have a hard time laying my arm on a down pipe or up pipe in my truck, of course its not a race truck.

6point0damn2004

Reaction score
Traps moisture? LOL

I have mine wrapped, keeps underhood temps noticeably lower. Never measured exact temps but when you open the hood up its not nearly as hot under there as it used to be. I will say though, those metal zip ties ya buy to hold the stuff on are about useless, IMO. Couldnt ever get em tight enough for my satisfaction. So i used a tool ive got that takes stainless safety wire and makes clamps with it. Worked like a charm

GreasyFingers

Reaction score
Yeah, I safty wired mine too. laced up few half hitches back and forth then put the twist in it. Are you talking about the clamp tite?

fordfreak4life

Reaction score
I wrapped every exhaust component under my hood except the turbo.... Dropped under hood temps durasticly

Sent from my Milestone X2 using Tapatalk 2

Hotrodtractor

Reaction score
I can promise you that wrapping on a street truck does trap moisture and will cause rust and pitting in steel components that are wrapped. I had my crossover pipe and downpipe ceramic coated on my Duramax when I installed compounds in 2008 - I also wrapped them. When I stripped it all down for my ongoing renovation I did find rust and pitting after all of that time and miles (80K or so). I've cleaned everything up and plan on re-wrapping everything at final install to keep the under hood temps down. I've also seen and witnessed improvements in competition rigs by wrapping IC plumbing as well.

fordfreak4life

Reaction score
Yup i think its the clamp tite, or something like it. Was at a truck show 4 years ago and a guy was selling them. Works awesome.

Baling wire ftmfw lol.... Limited resources locally causes for ****ty decisions on unexpected changes

Sent from my Milestone X2 using Tapatalk 2

Latest posts

Members online