Help ASAP, wierd running truck

Big Calo

Reaction score
This is my brothers truck, he just sent me a video on. I live about three hours away, and have got him to check some of the basics, connections, ect. He is going to try to pull the chip, but dont know if he has the tools at work to do it or not. The relay he has his finger on at the end of the video is constantly clicking. Pulled that relay and swapped it with another, and it didnt help. You can also see the dash lights flashing.

Wont idle up if you ease into it, but stab the throttle and it will rev, like you can see in the video.

edit: Said that when you stab the throttle, it will rev up until the relay clicks, then go back to dead throttle until you let off and try again.

He is in the east DFW area.

http://youtu.be/velbk6zq6uA

Suggestions?

Last edited:

e.nickkk

Reaction score
check the oil level make sure its not low I seen that before cause of low oil

Bigsexy

Reaction score
Id try finding an idm and pcm to swap with and see if that changes anything. Seems to me its one or the other but im not an expert. Ive seen super dutys have relay issues from a bad idm, swapped out the idm and fixed the problem.

Big Calo

Reaction score
check icp and ipr wiring, any chance the ipr wiring is melted together?

Said it was a little. He is doing some rigging on it now.

He's in Blue Ridge.

edit: GHO just looked it up, he's actually northeast of McKinney. So not really DFW. I've never been there, just the way I was told. Lol!

Last edited:

Big Calo

Reaction score
Redid IPR wiring no change, ICP wiring was good.

Moving on to IDM and IPR I guess. Anyone have one that's in the area?

mandkole

Reaction score
what relay is clicking? Any change when engine gets warmer? So, slowly moving the throttle theres no speed control at all? Got AE or scanner hooked up yet?

ghohouston

Reaction score
Well i work in mckinney, so could maybe swing by there sometime. My wife is being induced tonight though, so cant do it tomorrow, i may work saturday though

Dantheman

Reaction score
Bad ground possibly?:shrug: I have seen the relay click like that but it was due to the wires in the shift handle to the lock out switch grounded and poped the fuse. That truck would not run at all.

mandkole

Reaction score
ok, my bad, I didnt watch the vid to the end. The relay is for the IDM. It will start clicking if the power is interrupted. if you pull the #8 fuse to disable the injectors it will start clicking the relay as soon as power is applied.

Confirm your CEL, but could have an IDM in the future.

Big Calo

Reaction score
what relay is clicking? Any change when engine gets warmer? So, slowly moving the throttle theres no speed control at all? Got AE or scanner hooked up yet?

Second one over from the fender.

It did it a few seconds this morning then died, when he started it again, it was fine. Then after work today, when he started it, it kept doing this and never cleared up, even after it warmed up.

The way he described the throttle, it seems that every time the relay clicks it kills the power to the engine. If the throttle was stabbed to the floor it would rev until it lopes, then have no throttle until you lift up on the pedal to reset it. So easing into it, there is no difference, because before it changes it lopes and resets again.

Do not have a scanner availible.

Well i work in mckinney, so could maybe swing by there sometime. My wife is being induced tonight though, so cant do it tomorrow, i may work saturday though

He is trying to run down an IDM and PCM to try that, and if that doesnt work I'll let you know.

Congrats to you and your wife!

Bad ground possibly?:shrug: I have seen the relay click like that but it was due to the wires in the shift handle to the lock out switch grounded and poped the fuse. That truck would not run at all.

Could be. We are trying to hit the easy stuff first, and go from there. Its a manual too.

Big Calo

Reaction score
ok, my bad, I didnt watch the vid to the end. The relay is for the IDM. It will start clicking if the power is interrupted. if you pull the #8 fuse to disable the injectors it will start clicking the relay as soon as power is applied.

Confirm your CEL, but could have an IDM in the future.

Could you elaborate a little on the bold? Thanks!

ghohouston

Reaction score
Thank you, and I have a genisys scanner, so I can tell him what his problem is, provided the truck is updated to obd2, or new enough. I know I have used my scanner on a 96 before...

907DAVE

Reaction score
Is there an obs powerstroke that doesn't use the OBD2 style DLC?

Big Calo

Reaction score
Thank you, and I have a genisys scanner, so I can tell him what his problem is, provided the truck is updated to obd2, or new enough. I know I have used my scanner on a 96 before...

Thanks bud! I'll see what he finds out tomorrow and let him know. If he doesn't get anything figured out, I'll get him in touch with you.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.