Help chasing a leak.....

GreenF350

Reaction score
Ok...I'm gonna be honest about this leak, so don't give me too much crap about how stupid it has been to let it go this long, I just want to get it fixed.

I installed a Strictly Diesel regulated return and fuel bowl delete a while ago, leak checked it, test drove it and all was good...I thought. Eventually I noticed a drip on the bottom of the post pump filter that is mounted right behind the oil filter. Checked it and sure enough it was diesel. Wiped it up, cycled the key a few times looked it over good and no sign of a leak. Drove it a few more days and noticed a drip hanging on the bottom of the filter again. Wiped it up and drove "around the block" probably about 5-10 miles and looked again, nothing. Drive it to work and back, and the drip will be hanging there. It doesn't blow back down the underside of the truck and I have never seen a drip on the driveway for it. The lip on top of the filter doesn't have any diesel puddled into it so it makes me think the filter and filter head/lines are fine too. It's wet up the block and I thought for sure it was coming from the fuel fitting at the back of the drivers side head so I got out a good flashlight and my mirror and sure as snot the area right around that fitting is as dry as a popcorn fart. Look around a bit more and it LOOKS like a threaded plug that uses a square tool to remove/tighten it looks like it might be leaking. I'm wondering if that's diesel, oil or coolant behind it. I can't tell if what is running down the block is oil or diesel since it is just a film with dirt in it, but I'm going to go out and clean it up real good and see what comes of it. I'm getting ready to do injectors along with some other upgrades and want to finish off this leak and get it squared away before starting the upgrades. FIgured someone on here might be able to give me some insight. Attached are a few crappy cell phone pictures (Lit by a flashlight) of the area. One of them has the suspect plug circled in red. Thanks for the advice/opinions. I hate it when seemingly simple things kick my butt.
-Aaron

Attachments

• Leak1.JPG
    Leak1.JPG
    338.7 KB · Views: 61
  • Leak3.JPG
    Leak3.JPG
    399.9 KB · Views: 52
  • PlugCircled.jpg
    PlugCircled.jpg
    358.8 KB · Views: 56

GreenF350

Reaction score
If someone could take a look at the last picture and tell me what that plug is I would appreciate it. Even if it isn't the culprit I'm fairly certain it's got a seep I might want to take care of while I'm in there.
-Aaron

webb06

Reaction score
I would assume that is a coolant plug. It could be diesel too though. I'm not entirely sure

TyCorr

Reaction score
Drivers side of the block, rear near the very bottom of where the bellhousing bolts up, theres a small.plug. What is that?

20130329_175355_zpsa5c7df3e.jpg

GreenF350

Reaction score
Just follow signs of moisture uphill from the drip. You will find the leak.

That's what I thought too (same way we chase leaks on jet engines...go up and forward until you find the source), but it's proving to be a bit more difficult for some reason. I guess that plug isn't leaking if it's coolant behind it, but I'm fairly certain it's oil that's on the block not fuel. Starting to think I just need to pull the filter head off and reseal it. After cleaning it last night I just went into town and drove probably 20 miles or so and no drip, but I'm sure it will be back eventually.

Latest posts

Members online