Help, engine noise (tick, tapping)

s8v4o

Reaction score
A little background information first. Truck is a 2011 with 70,000 miles on it. Truck is regularly maintained with oil changes at 7500 intervals with Rotella 5W-40 and fuel filter changes every other oil change. Last oil and fuel filter change was roughly 500-700 miles ago. The last oil change I put in Archoil oil additive and some of the fuel additive as well. Before that I've been using DieselKleen for the last 3000 miles or so. The truck has been on a diet for about 4000 miles now.

Last night I went to get some pizza and noticed a weird noise coming from the engine. I know noises are hard to determine where they are coming from but it almost seems like it might be from the HPFP. It almost sound like a rod knock or something but I'm hoping it's not. I will go home with a stethoscope tonight to try to pinpoint the noise a little better. I've tried to do some reading but all that I seem to find are catastrophic failures. Does anybody know of the pump slowly going out? Is it possible that the Archoil is stopping it from being a catastrophic failure?
I started it this morning and the noise wasn't there at first. Once the engine started to warm up the noise came back again. Not sure if it is related but I noticed shortly after starting the engine that the top radiator hose was collapsed. It was hard to even notice because of the foil cover it has over it. As the engine started to warm up it was starting to expand.

I have two videos where you can definitely hear the noise. The first video is of me over the engine some and some with me under the engine. The second video is with the phone just over the drivers side tire. Any help or information is greatly appreciated. I have no problems trying to troubleshoot this if I have a little guidance. To date I've already had to replace evap core, change coolant seal at the turbo, and do the full diet all by myself so I'm not afraid of getting my hands dirty. If it turns out being the pump I'll be talking that by myself as well. Here are the videos. I wasn't sure how to embed them so here are the links.

EDIT - In the first video it's way more audible from under the video which is the 2nd half. The bottom video is pretty easy to hear as well.

http://vid195.photobucket.com/albums/z7/s8v4o/2011%20F250%20Super%20Duty/12211606541_zpsbqxvewlz.mp4

http://vid195.photobucket.com/albums/z7/s8v4o/2011%20F250%20Super%20Duty/12211606561_zpsrsn5yxyv.mp4

Last edited:

s8v4o

Reaction score
Thanks for link. I tried an advanced search for tick in the 6.7 sections but didn't yield any results. When I tried a non advanced search after your post I got lots of information. I feel better after reading that but the noise doesn't make me feel warm and fuzzy that's for sure.

JRLott

Reaction score
That's more random than those I've watched posted previously. Man, some get it to go away or never have it with this oil or that oil. Some get it with X, others get it to go away with X. Some get it with Y, others get it to go away with Y. All say it stops after some miles on the oil. It's strange. I can only speak for LE8854. Haven't had it yet. Of course I have a whopping 26.5k on mine and have run LE for 16.5k.

It's apparently nothing to worry about. Just irritating.

Last edited:

Corb@CorbinShipping

Reaction score
Some say that the oil that you use makes a difference. Mine did it periodically, mostly when it is cold, or the first 1,000 miles after an oil change. But, it ticked after the first oil change, and kept ticking randomly for 278,000 miles of 35,000 pound towing...

JRLott

Reaction score
See? My decimal is in a different location, but other than irritation, I don't think it's anything to worry about.

s8v4o

Reaction score
Thanks guys. Yesterday I read all about it in the 48 page thread on here and some other googling. I do feel better knowing it's normal. Whats weird is I've used Rotella T6 since my first oil change and never heard anything for 70,000 miles and I live in south Louisiana. The only thing different about this oil change was the Archoil and the fact that it's wintertime. Just yesterday the sound was all ready starting to going away. Part of me is a little disappointed though as I was looking at this as a chance to upgrade my HPFP to a 15+ if that was the part that failed.

Perhaps the time of year, location (climate), oil viscosity, diet, all make a difference in what appears to be random.

Jomax

Reaction score
I've heard it maybe 4 times in 80k miles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DC87

Reaction score
I had it for awhile randomly after an oil change decided to switch to LE 5w40 from Schaeffers started the truck after the oil change with LE heard an audible tick for a second and haven't heard it since and have one other oil change in the mean time and about 10k miles no tick!

Last edited:

04cr450

Reaction score
your sound doesn't sound like the normal "tick" that you hear on a 6.7 from the oil. When i was watching/hearing the video- are you sure nothing is hitting your fan blade? I changed my oil for the 2nd time(truck on has 2,760 miles) rotella t5 10w-30. No tick, matter of fact engine is quieter now since I got the factory oil out of there. Changed it at 500 miles then at the miles stated above. Ill go to 5k now
Reason why i said check for any obstructions is because the common "tick" is more of knock coming from the right or left side of engine .. not the center

Last edited:
Reaction score
Try removing the oil cap and see if you can hear it louder. Maybe help see if it's coming from in the engine. Mine has a weird tick and it''s definitely louder with the oil cap off. I've also got a lot of blow by from my ccv deelete but I'm thinking it's normal.
Let me know what you think?
https://youtu.be/WXWpfB2XEsE

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
that is the infamous 6.7 typewriter tick.. mostly all of them do it.. there is no reason for archoil in these trucks.. just good quality oil and move on..

my 12 had it. always has it at the beginning of the oci for about 500 or so miles.. mobil 1 is what it has always had and I just recently switched to LE 8854. same thing.. only way smoother running..

live life full throttle

god bless america and the farmer who feeds your fat ass

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online