Help me diagnose scraping sound

bpb424

Reaction score
about 3 days ago I noticed this very loud scraping sound coming from my drivers sided front wheel. It's a combination of scraping and grinding (best way I can describe it) and it increases w/ speed. It has been intermittent and stopped twice for a short time but still comes back. Last night I jacked the front end up and took off the wheel, I noticed the dust cover had gotten bent some how and was rubbing the rotor. I bent it off the rotor and spun the wheel and the noise was gone. I pulled all around on the wheel also looking for any play. I looked at the outer brake pad and it looked fine but I couldn't see the inner pad very well and a storm was coming in so I had to put the wheel back on in a hurry. When I drove down the road the noise was gone. This morning the noise was gone at first, but started back after driving about 15 mins. :mad:

ideas?

Daryl@TDP

Reaction score
Doesn't sound like it but have you checked your wheel bearings? Dust shield was my first thought as well I took mine off when I did my unit bearings last time.

SEABEE08FX4

Reaction score
How exactly do I check them? I felt zero play in the wheel when I tried to move them around off the ground.

You may not be able to put the load required on it to get movement off of it by hand unless its just really far gone. Does it make a noise when you have the tire lifted off the ground and spin it by hand ?

Daryl@TDP

Reaction score
Jack up one side and grab the tire top and bottom (yours are kinda big so put a pry bar underneath) try to pry(shake) the tire up and down. If there is a noticeable amount of play or if it clunks the bearing is most likely bad. A veryyy small amount of give is normal. But as said you still may not be able to tell.

bpb424

Reaction score
Jack up one side and grab the tire top and bottom (yours are kinda big so put a pry bar underneath) try to pry(shake) the tire up and down. If there is a noticeable amount of play or if it clunks the bearing is most likely bad. A veryyy small amount of give is normal. But as said you still may not be able to tell.

I tried that yesterday and it didn't budge at all. There was a slight noise when I spun the wheel, but it didn't replicate the scraping sound it was making while driving. It just sorta sounded like the pad against the rotor.
Maybe I'll the caliper off and see if I can get it to make any noise.

I hate these little gremlin things

Daryl@TDP

Reaction score
I tried that yesterday and it didn't budge at all. There was a slight noise when I spun the wheel, but it didn't replicate the scraping sound it was making while driving. It just sorta sounded like the pad against the rotor.
Maybe I'll the caliper off and see if I can get it to make any noise.

I hate these little gremlin things

Yeah they are a pain. That's worth a shot, hopefully you find the culprit there .

Latest posts

Members online