help me figure out that sound... Please

ZombieSoldier

Reaction score
my truck has the sound described in this video when revving (no its not my truck). it started just a few short days ago, strangely, less than a week after i got home from deployment... FML. I haven't really been beating on it, but have done a few 3/4 throttle runs passing other annoying drivers, but mostly less than 5-10 seconds. anyways I am thinking maybe a rocker arm is broken? What do y'all think? If it is the rocker arms, in theory, i should be able to figure out which side it is coming from and should i just replace all the ones on that side, and the push rods, just to be safe, or should i just replace one set of rockers? what all parts will i need for the job? I am super afraid to drive the truck right now as I don't want to hurt it. Am I even going the right direction with what is wrong with the truck? I am not getting loss of power, no hesitation, no misses, no blue smoke, nothing of the sort, just an embarrassing rattle-clacking sound

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRkghlHvHrM&feature=youtu.be

08BIGRIG

Reaction score
That kinda sounds to me like an injector chitin the bed or on its way out. I would have it hooked to a scan tool such as a IDS and see what your injectors are doing.

Diesel23

Reaction score
how about a rocker ,plastic clip broke on one of or more then 1 rocker?

ZombieSoldier

Reaction score
08BigRig, what is the IDS?

Diesel23, I figured I would just be on the safe side, and order an injector, and a rocker arm assembly for 1 complete bank, and call it a day and hope it works out for the best :/

DieselSD

Reaction score
08BigRig, what is the IDS?

Diesel23, I figured I would just be on the safe side, and order an injector, and a rocker arm assembly for 1 complete bank, and call it a day and hope it works out for the best :/

How'd things go?

ZombieSoldier

Reaction score
I haven't fixed it yet. I took it out to Darkhorse diesel over the weekend. They did diagnostics on it. No injector issues, no compression loss so not a cracked piston or blow-by. After a bit more checking, it's excessive rocker arm lash due to wear. We are ordering all new rockers for it.

Latest posts