Help me spend my money, next mod

PsRumors

Reaction score
I've been saving for injectors anticipating doing FF 160/100 and am almost there, within $50.

Made some calls to various vendors Friday and based on my mods and the truck's use I had about a 50 / 50 split of them telling me to go to a stage 1 (160/stock) or a stage 2 (160/nozzle).

On Monday I installed a chip with TW tunes (econo, daily, street, heavy tow, extreme and high idle). I am EXTREMELY happy with the daily tune so much so I have not even turned the chip to the higher HP settings. On the daily I got 17.3 mpg with 50 miles of in city (Huntsville) driving and 150 miles of mountain driving which normally gets me about 14 mpg. And am very pleased with the power.

The truck gets drive about 4000 miles per year. It hasn't towed much though that will change some, I plan to pull my brothers trailer and bobcat (about 13k lbs) some and maybe even a travel trailer.

My goal is 100% reliability just with some extra power and I hope to continue to see the good fuel mileage when empty.

So, stage 1s at $1195 + maybe AE and some new headlights

Or, stage 2s at $1695 + nothing else for a bit

What would PSA do?

PsRumors

Reaction score
Also, I was told that with a stage 2 I would be able to tow with more power (350hp) as compared to a stage 1 (about 300hp) as the stage 2 is more efficient. That makes sense but I was also told by another that a stage 1 is about all the heat these trucks can dissipate when towing. That any more power and it is unusable.

Powerstroke Cowboy

Reaction score
Most of it depends on what you want for power... The stage 2 with the 100% nozzles would run cooler with less smoke @ the some power level as the stage 1 injectors..

just something to think about..

PsRumors

Reaction score
Most of it depends on what you want for power... The stage 2 with the 100% nozzles would run cooler with less smoke @ the some power level as the stage 1 injectors..

just something to think about..

I'm not really after a power level per se' but it is good to know that at a particular power level the stage 2 will run cooler.

My plan is at some point to do a D66, I think, but no harder than I drive the truck the stock turbo will likely live a long happy life with either a 1 or 2 just looking for good reliable power.

ryanss22

Reaction score
stage 2's leaves you room to grow down the road with the d66... might also try to find a 17* hpop not need'd but a good investment. are you set on ffd?? PIS has some good sales going on now and also rosewood is a great inj builder. I personally ran his 160/100 in my obs and loved them..

Powerstroke Cowboy

Reaction score
I'm not really after a power level per se' but it is good to know that at a particular power level the stage 2 will run cooler.

My plan is at some point to do a D66, I think, but no harder than I drive the truck the stock turbo will likely live a long happy life with either a 1 or 2 just looking for good reliable power.

Personally I would go with the stage 2 injectors.. They are a better all round injector over the stage 1..

old man dave

Reaction score
I ran almost the same setup, stage II 160/100, for years except with a 17* hpop. Very pleased with the way it ran. Later, switched to a dual terminator and electric fuel for even better results.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online