HELP NEEDED! Did they change the fuel filter style?

skevac

Reaction score
I'm attempting to change the fuel filter on the frame of my 2005 Excursion and notice that the new one has an o-ring and the old one doesn't. It doesn't seem to be fitting as well. Did they change the style of the filter? The new one looks more like the 6.4 filter. I have been to Advanced Auto and looked at a new Motocraft. It has the o-ring. The one I'm trying to put in is a Racor. It has the o-ring. I also looked at a Navistar and it has the o-ring. Please help, I need to put this back together so my wife can drive it to work in 8 hours.

skevac

Reaction score
Here's a picture. The new Motorcraft, Racor, and Navistar look like the one on the left.

Attachments

• fuel filters.jpg
    fuel filters.jpg
    260.2 KB · Views: 66

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
Yes they did change the style. Try lubing the o ring a bit before putting it in. Just use some diesel fuel. I usually shove the filter inthe pump, then run the cap down and havent had any problem.

skevac

Reaction score
Thanks to all that replied. It fit is all I can say. So, apparently they did change the style.

Kbuterbaugh04

Reaction score
Yes they did change the style. Try lubing the o ring a bit before putting it in. Just use some diesel fuel. I usually shove the filter inthe pump, then run the cap down and havent had any problem.
Doesn't the the little air bleeder hole go up top? My mechanic showed me how the oem style as a bleeder hole to help prime the filter. Any insight?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online