help picking a turbo

2005pwerstroke

Reaction score
Hey guys I'm new here and was hoping to get some help with picking a turbo. As of right now I am running a 66mm Borg warner and was hoping to find something with a little more bottom end I have plenty of power up top but with 35's and no regear I have a hard time at low speeds and starts. Also looking for more turbo whistle and hopefully clean up my 205cc injectors a little on the bottom. Thanks guys any help is appreciated

bretferd

Reaction score
You could go back to a modded vgt from barder turbo services or river city diesel 68mm or mad turbo werks stage 4(they are all vendors here). Or if you don't have divided up pipes you could try that. A lot of people said that the divided up pipes help spool up from like smeding diesel, Maryland performance diesel, or cutting edge diesel( also vendors on here).

slc dzl

Reaction score
If you go with smeding up pipes make sure to tell them to build them to clear RR fittings on the back of the heads.

Bubba88

Reaction score
I would also check out the Stage 4 from MTW as mentioned above. I've had very good luck w/ his Stage 2 I have currently

weazel

Reaction score
You ever thought about compounds?

Sent from in a ditch up side down and on fire with the wheels still spinning

2005pwerstroke

Reaction score
yeah i looked into compounds and contacted maryland performance about pricing. $4500-5000 is a little more than i would like to spend

weazel

Reaction score
yeah i looked into compounds and contacted maryland performance about pricing. $4500-5000 is a little more than i would like to spend

If you want more down low and plenty up top, that's the route I would go. It's spendy but the good stuff always cost more

2005pwerstroke

Reaction score
i would like to do compounds but i would need to get two new turbos and all new piping and mounts. it adds up quick

weazel

Reaction score
Yup, awesome has a price tag

2005pwerstroke

Reaction score
yeah im kind of worried after talking to maryland performance they informed me that compunds are gonna be the only way to go and not loose power or spool up time. i guess i gotta start saving and looking around

motoxracer42

Reaction score
before someone sells you something you probably wont like, what 66 do you have? there are a few different turbine wheel options? if you want a little whistle but don't want to go back to vgt try a 64/71. 71 turbine whistles quite a bit. also little more info on the truck would help. are you using an adapter right now with stock up pipes or did you already jump on the bandwagon? the 62fmw will spool good but its gonna disappoint you on the top end compared to what your running. hell depending on what you have now you may be able to just move to a 66/71 and you will gain a little on spool up withough sacrificing too much on the top.
Coming from someone who has tried just about everything out there, sounds like you would be happy with a 9180 efr. spools faster than a 66 and outflows a 72. If I were to run another single on a street truck, I wouldn't think twice. I tried one earlier this year to see how they run on a truck and I don't know how I didn't get arrested. Too much fun.

2005pwerstroke

Reaction score
well what do you want to know about the truck i bought it with most of the work done to it because i was trying to save some money so i only know what i have been told about it. and im definetely looking into the 9180 efr that sounds like the way to go
i dont think i would have any issues going the vgt route i just dont know anything about turbos so I'm really relying on your guys opinions

Last edited:

motoxracer42

Reaction score
basically what I said right after more info lol. all the supporting mods that could alter performance. what turbine wheel is on the 66? what housing, stock or aftermarket up pipes? who built the injectors can be a big factor as well.

Latest posts

Members online