Help! Truck developed a weird "knock" sound...

Jason

Reaction score
Fixing to do injectors and turbo on my truck, moved it out of the garage the other day and was greeted with a new/strange noise. I've got the video of it on my phone, can't get it to upload on YouTube to post it...if anybody can help me, shoot me a text and I'll be happy to send it to you to listen! Wasn't planning on tearing this motor down but I'm scared I may have to now!

Thanks
Jason
254-733-8698

Jason

Reaction score
Most noticeable there, idled up it's not as noticeable. Truck runs like busted ass, runs smooth, but low on power. Was going to drag it to my shop to do the work, but would like an idea on where to look before I dig in, and don't have the parts to fix it. I thought hpop, bleeding pressure down, and knocking when it was started...but it knocked after it had built oil pressure. From my mustang experience and broken rocker arms, that is not what this sounds like. I basically want a ".it's not gonna effect" it; so I can continue on

Big Bore

Reaction score
An injector will make a noise like that. Did you drive it to see if it went away once warmed up? The engine wont really be warmed up fully until it's been driven a bit.

Jason

Reaction score
I haven't really drove it much, moved it in and out of the driveway at most. I was thinking if the hpop was bleeding off pressure and then starting with no/low oil psi it could knock...I let it run for about 20 min yesterday to charge my batteries, from listening to my stereo, and cranking on it without running it. Didn't think to check on the noise...I'll check on it tomorrow once I get this new tensioner installed. I'm wondering if lack of oil could be the culprit or if the injector itself could be making the noise. I was planning on single shots, and a 38r here in the next couple of weeks (need to order), didn't know if it'd be safe to drive the truck to my shop or if I should tow it. I have no codes being thrown, it is noticeably weaker than before, and I have a good amount of oil on top of the motor, I believe to be coming from my hpop, or my pedestal, or a combination of the both. Were talking about a 270k mile motor, and I am wanting to fix it and keep it mild, to get me another 3-4 years of service towing my stuff around.

On high idle it's not as noticeable (motor itself is too noisy), my truck has always sounded like a caterpillar, definitely louder than other 7.3 trucks I've heard, and has always Dan excellent til the past 5k or so I have noticed a big loss in power, and fuel mileage.

Drivers side is a lot of injector noise, and typical diesel sounds, passenger side is shoot of injector noise and diesel sounds with a tinny knock sound that's very steady...

TARM

Reaction score
My guess is an injector. Can you hear the sound thru the tail pipe? You could pull the valve cover from the side its coming from and watch to see if its in the valve train. It will likely be obvious.

Latest posts