Help. Truck shutdown on the side if the road.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
wow, so if I had an issue with a sensor that was on backorder and not in stock, the truck would have to sit till it was in stock?

live life full throttle

sagebel

Reaction score
wow, so if I had an issue with a sensor that was on backorder and not in stock, the truck would have to sit till it was in stock?

live life full throttle

Yup. When one goes the truck will not run. In my case I haven't been able to get it hot enough to trigger the code without pulling the trailer and once it cools down you can reset the code and keep driving. I had the front one go on my '11. I could drive about 5 miles at a time. I swapped it out with the one next to the NOX sensor and never had a problem after that. Since the one by the NOX sensor never gets as hot as the most forward one I guess it worked. I would be interested to see which sensor of the four has the highest failure rate. I am guessing the first one.

sagebel

Reaction score
My MM has the ability to delete. I was thinking about selling it since I am happy with the stock power but after last weekend it's staying. I told the wife when we were on the side of the road that if I couldn't clear the codes I was going to delete it right there. She asked where the exhaust would come out. She didn't seem to keen on my answer of right at your feet and it's going to be loud. LOL

Jesse_01

Reaction score
My MM has the ability to delete. I was thinking about selling it since I am happy with the stock power but after last weekend it's staying. I told the wife when we were on the side of the road that if I couldn't clear the codes I was going to delete it right there. She asked where the exhaust would come out. She didn't seem to keen on my answer of right at your feet and it's going to be loud. LOL
Haha I have done that once before. Drove around for 3 days like that. As long as you don't sit and idle its fine haha. You could of put the dpf delete tune in and drove 100miles or so before the dpf would get plugged if you left it on.

RedRice589

Reaction score
*** that bullchit! delete time if my truck has to sit cuz of a backorder.

live life full throttle

I had that problem dealer said wait time for my NOx crap was 2 weeks. I laughed and tuned it Dpf off before I drove out.

I wouldn't even do that, I drove 300 miles with Dpf off on stock tune until my exhaust came in. Kept the power level down, minimal city driving and it was toasty with the trailer on.

Haha I have done that once before. Drove around for 3 days like that. As long as you don't sit and idle its fine haha. You could of put the dpf delete tune in and drove 100miles or so before the dpf would get plugged if you left it on.

No emissions were stopping me. Screw it. I'll blow it up before I let a horse sit on the side of the road for emissions. At least then I have an excuse to be broke down.

sagebel

Reaction score
No emissions were stopping me. Screw it. I'll blow it up before I let a horse sit on the side of the road for emissions. At least then I have an excuse to be broke down.

Exactly. How many of these trucks are used in the emergency services? We all know the answer. A lot. The question is how long before response times are affected?

RedRice589

Reaction score
Exactly. How many of these trucks are used in the emergency services? We all know the answer. A lot. The question is how long before response times are affected?

Yea the bigger ones that require a forced regen and they can't move. I know the cummins were having problems. I think the urea really helped but I'd love to hear from the guys that deal with them.

sagebel

Reaction score
Yea the bigger ones that require a forced regen and they can't move. I know the cummins were having problems. I think the urea really helped but I'd love to hear from the guys that deal with them.

My little brother is a professional fire fighter and they absolutely hate them. I think he said at one point forced regens were part of the daily checks and sometimes still didn't help.

sagebel

Reaction score
Just notice tonight that the exhaust tip has soot on it. It has been clean up until now. Truck has 32K on it. Anyone else have a sooty tailpipe that has the DPF in place?

12stroker

Reaction score
Nope we had no codes on the truck. Other then it finally melted the end of a egt sensor and sent it into the stop now code. But you let the truck sit for a few hrs and would run fine for a about 1 hr then the stop safely would pop up again.

Reel Cajun

Reaction score
I've heard you can get a code reader for about $80.00 and it will tell you which sensor is bad. Anybody have any advice on this?

I know there are 4-sensors, are they all the same part#?

sagebel

Reaction score
My Minimax will read codes but when whatever happened it would not communicate with the truck. The EGT sensors on the DPF are all identical. I have actually swapped the front and rear sensors once on my '11 to get it running.

I think I fixed the problem today. The truck is a little lighter too. Now we'll see how long the stock turbo lasts. Headed up to 8300' next weekend with the camper so we shall see.

redracer62

Reaction score
My trucks has already left me stranded for the nox sensors I said I'll let this one pass but if it ever happened again or especially did this, I would do the same in a heartbeat. Good luck op, hopefully you have no more problems.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
My Minimax will read codes but when whatever happened it would not communicate with the truck. The EGT sensors on the DPF are all identical. I have actually swapped the front and rear sensors once on my '11 to get it running.

I think I fixed the problem today. The truck is a little lighter too. Now we'll see how long the stock turbo lasts. Headed up to 8300' next weekend with the camper so we shall see.
weight loss mod! nice...

live life full throttle

Jesse_01

Reaction score

I have over 7000hrs on a stock turbo. Pulled 15k at 10k ft no problem. I also have custom hearhead tuning.

Latest posts

Members online