Help with PCS

dthompson

Reaction score
I bought Brian Boysel's red truck that he raced. Some of you probably know the truck. I need some help with the PCS, as he never quite got it working right. It's controlling an E4OD. The trouble is with the converter locking. It won't unlock when you let out and if you try to drive it normal it locks and boggs the truck down. I'm 100% new to all this so if someone could lead me in the right direction I'd appreciate it. Thanks

IHPowerstroke7.3

Reaction score
Well I have no experience with PCS, but have used other like products. PCS is supposed to be the best, so I can't see it being difficult. First thing is first, hook up the unit to your PC or laptop, open the software and have a look at the tables. Should be a section for TCC or converter lock up. Should show the speeds, load etc of where it locks and unlocks as well as temperatures and yada yada. I'm not sure what you mean by it not unlocking when you let out (of the throttle i assume) which is normal. Hit the brake pedal and it should unlock. Don't know the truck but if its set up for high power, converter is probably being locked up to handle the power. Figure out when, what gear, what speed your problem occurs. Then go look at your tables and see why. Few quick adjustments will cure your issue, just little adjustments. Always save your original file incase you have issues, you can re load it.

Dieselboy.

Reaction score
The tune in that truck is mine. I could never figure out why it was doing that. I've gone through that file several times and have no idea.
I'm starting to wondering if it's a wiring issue ?

02BigD

Reaction score
It has to be a wiring issue somewhere. Especially since ^^ he went through the files.

Just a thought, are there differences between wiring for a 4R and 4e? Could see that being an easy mix up.

Last edited:

Dieselboy.

Reaction score
That was my thought. Because the 4r has the extra sensor. And I'm wondering if that's goofing up.

Tc is all off mph. And they were having odd speedo issues. That tune was wrote for Nate@unlimited for his truck. So it works. Just Nate uses a 4r. Other then the inputs it's all the same base file.

backwoodsboy

Reaction score
That was my thought. Because the 4r has the extra sensor. And I'm wondering if that's goofing up.

Tc is all off mph. And they were having odd speedo issues. That tune was wrote for Nate@unlimited for his truck. So it works. Just Nate uses a 4r. Other then the inputs it's all the same base file.

Was the original file written for a 4R with PWM lockup?
Just spit-balling....

Dieselboy.

Reaction score
Yep. But pwm mod only controls how it locks. Not when. And it doesn't have anything to do with a trans that has no ability to modulate lockup. Not dies it cause a trans to not unlock.

As far as I know mph is it

dthompson

Reaction score
Thanks guys. I PM'd you Dieselboy. Any suggestions on where to start on looking for the wiring issue?

Dieselboy.

Reaction score
Replied email me the retrieved file in the controller and I'll redo you a completely new file when I get home.
At least rule out the tuning aspect.

TurboM700

Reaction score
Data log it and watch the TPS values. I just went thru this with my12v X. You could never see it while driving but when data logging the TPS value would cause the transmission todo weird things, like unlock/lock the tc. Upshift at weird speeds. ETC

Send me your file along with a data log and I can take a look at it.

Another thing to try is manual shift it thru its gears, there is a feature todo this in PCS. This helps in dagnoising issues as it only does what you tell it todo nothing more. Can also be done on jack stands

Here is my Screen shot of my TPS zoomed in it should be a smooth line and you can see its dropping to zero for only a few mill seconds but its enought to screw with the PCS

tps_zps92e5a04c.jpg

TurboM700

Reaction score
Other thought is on a E4OD you have to pull vehicle speed from a wheel speed sensor or rear end as it does not have the tone ring on the back of the transmission.

The pcs needs this input to figure out what speed the vehicle is going, my guess is this input to the pcs is not a good signal input to the PCS. Again data logging it should easily show this.

Another thing is from the factory PCS give a 1 sec delay in shifting, this drove me nuts to can change this also.

Mike

dthompson

Reaction score
Awesome guys, I'll try to do some data logging and retrieve the file tomorrow after work. If i manually shift it on the column it seems right or atleast better. What kind of runs to you want me to data log?

TurboM700

Reaction score
Shift it in the PCS there is a screen for it. Its called "test mode" you can either do this on jack stands or while driving. If done while driving I would have someone ride along with you and hit the up and down buttons.
Screen looks like this
test_zps2a4d4e31.jpg

Also while driving watch the "monitor" screen and make sure when its locking up,upshifting, that the PCS is actually telling it to lock up. If its locking up without the PCS telling it then it something in the transmission
LockUp_zpsd0eaefd0.jpg

As far as data log just go drive it thru all gears and all throttle postions.
I'm not familar with what truck this is. Is it still a 7.3? that was orginal a 6spd?

dthompson

Reaction score
Truck is a 7.3 and always been an auto as far as I know. Brian said they just put the pcs in with the newest transmission.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.