Here's one for ya'

Fromojo

Reaction score
03 Powerstroke, +230,000 miles. Got a white smoke at idle, and thick under load/drive. Engine runs fine, maybe a little extra crank on start up cold or hot.

Oil filter housing is leaking oil from the cap while running, filter broke clean in two while trying to remove it. Oil in there is nasty and needs changed ASAP. Going to do an oil change, and filter.

Pulled egr valve, not wet in the intake, pretty sooted up but cleaned and reinstalled.

Cooling system is not being pressurized from combustion.

Checked out the turbo's compressor wheel, no play and everything seems normal. A good amount of oil has collected at the inlet in the compressor wheel, messed around with the PCV tube, discovered a hole in it, that sucks. Didn't see anything abnormal coming out the tube with it disconnected from intake, and engine running.

No codes, injectors buzzed fine, contribution looks good. FICM voltage 48V while cranking. IPR % looks good, ICP is great.

Thinking we got an restrictive oil flow at the filter housing causing some sort of issue?

Fromojo

Reaction score
75 views and everyone is scratching their head too? I suppose a peak at the exhaust turbine is in order too, never know where some oil might be leaking.

Nic

Reaction score
cracked cap or bad O-ring in the oil filter cap?
Weld up the pesky EGR cooler
cooling system not holding pressure, cracked degas bottle releasing pressure?
Theres alot of variables in here.. The truck needs the emissions off of it. Is it loosing coolant?

Nic

Reaction score
If a turbo seal is on the way out it will suck oil through it and burn it as fuel. I wouldnt push it..It takes a dump and sends shrapnel through it its toast.

kyle43335

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
dig alittle deeper, you will find the cooler is leaking.

i had one doing the exact same thing.

Fromojo

Reaction score
The oil filter may be a coincidence to the smoke but it seemed to happen at the same time.

Truck is not being used as the oil filter broke in two when we were investigating the leak

No coolant loss, picture a normal running 6.0 that blows white smoke that lingers around

Last edited:

kyle43335

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
The oil filter may be a coincidence to the smoke but it seemed to happen at the same time.

Truck is not being used as the oil filter broke in two when we were investigating the leak

what brand filter???

also when does the smoke start? on fire up,or after it warms up?

Fromojo

Reaction score
It smokes constantly, but dead cold it took about a minute before it started hazing.

Under throttle, thick white mixed with a little blue

Not sure the brand, it wasn't the taller Napa filter as it had the motorcraft oil.filter cap on it. Hes going to get a motorcraft filter when he gets oil

kyle43335

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
It smokes constantly, but dead cold it took about a minute before it started hazing.

Under throttle, thick white mixed with a little blue

Not sure the brand, it wasn't the taller Napa filter as it had the motorcraft oil.filter cap on it. Hes going to get a motorcraft filter when he gets oil

what does it smell like? sweet=coolant, fuel?

sounds like a egr cooler to me!!

Fromojo

Reaction score
No, the smoke smells like oil, and lingers around. Doesnt just vaporize into the air fast.

Fromojo

Reaction score
No fluid cross contaminantion. Oil level is a tad low.

Truck was recently purchased so previous maintenance is unknown.

bboteler

Reaction score
May be worth while to know what strategy the truck was running and if was sold with a tune installed...

Fromojo

Reaction score
No tuning, strategy is old, oasis hasn't been updated in years.

We either got a leaking turbo or the cooler is.messed up. It's not my truck, and it hasn't been messed with for a few days. Going to take a peak at the exhaust in the turbo

Fromojo

Reaction score
Haven't messed with it yet. Don't worry, I'll post when I hear what the verdict is, I'm as curious as anyone else.

pleaseeatsomepoo

Reaction score
This is my truck that FMJ is talking about. The turbo is out and shows signs of oil in places where it shouldn't be. I contemplated rebuilding the fkning thing but I am more than likely going with a MTW unit because I do not want to do this a second or third time around.

pleaseeatsomepoo

Reaction score
Alright folks, update time.

I rebuilt my original turbo with new seals an such, installed her and she still smoked. I probably didn't do too good of a job cleaning out the seats but whatever, I wasn't about to waste any more time and do this again so I settled with a factory reman'ed unit from Ebay.

Fast forward to yesterday.
We installed the turbo, along with an EGR Delete (kept egr valve in place, re-routed coolant) and as far as we know, we hooked up everything correctly.

I still get whiteish smoke that smells like burning oil. We checked the downpipe to make sure that the new turbo wasn't a lemon and leaking oil from its center housing and it in fact is not leaking.

We did not have a scanner to pull codes (if any) so I cant comment on that.

Another issue that ive got in addition to the smoke is a total lack of power. Even with the skinny pedal floored, the truck moves like molasses in January.

Now fast forward to this morning, I try to start the truck and initially it just kept on cranking and cranking then eventually the batteries just didn't have enough juice to do anything. So here we are.

Any thoughts on this?

Latest posts

Members online