Here's one for ya'

pleaseeatsomepoo

Reaction score
Have you checked ficm voltage?

IIRC, when we checked it before any of this, it 'looked fine.'

Not sure how it is now but we are going to give it another go with the SnapOn Solus tomorrow.

If FICM shows low voltage then that means injectors are not shooting enough fuel/actuating correctly thus causing smoke? Forgive my ignorance but I'm still learning the ins and outs of the 6.0.

Big Angry Hillbilly

Reaction score
Did you take it out and beat on it after you took the cooler off? If it was leaking the exhaust is full of coolant. If the turbo was leaking the exhaust will be bull of oil. Might take awhile to clear up.

I have seen trucks lose 8 injectors after losing an EGR cooler, due to the coolant contamination.

Especially higher mileage ones.

pleaseeatsomepoo

Reaction score
My factory egr cooler was never leaking, i replaced it as a preventative measure.
A good bit of oil got into the exhaust before so residual oil could also be a possibility.

Didn't beat on it at any point in time after the installs.

range91

Reaction score
IIRC, when we checked it before any of this, it 'looked fine.'

Not sure how it is now but we are going to give it another go with the SnapOn Solus tomorrow.

If FICM shows low voltage then that means injectors are not shooting enough fuel/actuating correctly thus causing smoke? Forgive my ignorance but I'm still learning the ins and outs of the 6.0.

correct low voltage wont acctuate the coil correctly can cause all sorts of concerns. should be around 48v +-1v. I could see the smoke still being residual possibly but the starting issue definately would be something else. Are you using oem oil filter and cap?

tommyboy#1

Reaction score
white smoke that smells like oil would tell me that your muffler or the exhaust pipe hasnt burned all of the oil out yet from the turbo seal being bad so i wouldnt worry about that. Another question i have for you is that when you pulled the oil filter out was the bottom melted at all? Ive seen this a couple times where the filter will come apart and the oil tree and filter base plastic would be melted just a little bit. As for the no start there is alot to go through ficm voltage, oil pressure, etc. etc. Its hard to diag. without seeing/knowing all the log info.

Fromojo

Reaction score
FICM was 47.5 cranking 3 months ago, 48 volts running down the road prior to the issues.

With two batteries barely charged back up with a 10amp charger to 12V this evening, the FICM still showed 48V with Ignition on.

I highly doubt there is a FICM issue at all. Once a battery charger is put on and the truck started, there will be more to know.

Will an unplugged MAP sensor cause a major lack of power? Looks like that was the only thing we forgot to plug back in.

Last edited:

Fromojo

Reaction score
Injectors buzzed fine as well, I'm suspecting there is either a massive amount of oil in the CAT and muffler, or we have an injector issue due to the constant thick lingering white smoke that doesn't seem to go away.

We disconnected the cat from the downpipe, but need either need to remove the CAT from the other side of the exhaust, or attempt to ratchet strap or something the disconnected CAT/Muffler/Tailpipe away so the downpipe still doesn't "blow" into the disconnected exhaust.

I think running an open down pipe should prove that there is a ton of oil in there or not. If it still smokes like a "freight train" with an open down pipe.

I suppose once it's running if I see a high IPR percentage at idle will also tell me there's something wrong (HPOP leak)

tommyboy#1

Reaction score
If that smoke smells at all like fuel i wouldnt run it to long due to the possibility of a cracked nozzle. Do you have the ability to do a power balance test when its running? Also an unplugged map sensor would cause a huge lack of power as well as the trans not wanting to shift right.

Fromojo

Reaction score
I don't know what a Power Balance is, but the Solus Pro has a test that monitors cylinder contributions with numbers that can fluctuate from a reading of 0.

I think when the "issue" first started with the white smoke, they were all reading 0 driving around in the neighborhood with one or two moving to a negative number for 1/4 second of time then back to 0, something that didn't look abnormal to me.

Fromojo

Reaction score
Also an unplugged map sensor would cause a huge lack of power as well as the trans not wanting to shift right.

That was a second major issue besides this infamous mosquito dusting white cloud of death smoke the truck has.

tommyboy#1

Reaction score
Ya a power balance is the same as cylinder contribution test. You nozzles sound fine. Usually when a tip cracks the balance or contribution will read really high on that cylinder.

Fromojo

Reaction score
We'll be working on it Friday eve, so I'm sure the results will be posted sometime after that.

pleaseeatsomepoo

Reaction score
Alright Folks.
So I came home from lunch today and gave the truck a start after letting it sit on the trickle charger overnight and...

SHE FIRED RIGHT UP!

The lack of power was definately solved by plugging the MAP sensor back in, We should have realized that when we probed with the the Solus a few weeks ago and read no change in Manifold pressure while driving. DOH!

White smoke was def confirmed as residual oil trapped in the muffler. I separated the cat from the DP and noticed smoke exiting from the rear of the truck but not from the down pipe.

That takes care of the problems we've had thus far.

I still can't explain the battery drain just yet. Maybe **** cells, maybe **** alternator.

pleaseeatsomepoo

Reaction score
Thanks.
Im not sure how to deal with the oil in the muffler. The smoke just wont disappear I'd prefer to get rid of the whole shebang but i need them to pass inspection.

Fromojo

Reaction score
Just an update, new batteries and new alternator. Charging system restored.

FICM holds steady at 47.5 to 48 cranking, and at idle.

Cylinder contribution all reading 0 at idle.

KOER was fine, except a parking brake out of range.

Glow plug test passed.

IPR % shoots up high when cranking like it should, and drops to 20 something percent at idle. Actual ICP at idle was around 820, and desired was around the same.

Looked good to me, so we called it quits on scanning.

Just gotta get the oil out of the muffler and cat.

Latest posts

Members online