HID's shut off truck

mint-6oh

Reaction score
I had a set of hid bulbs and ballasts with the relay harness (35w 6000k) that were in my 06 f-350 6.0l with no problems. Today we put my old headlight hids and a new set of foglights in my friends 00 F-250 7.3L. When you turn the foglights on the idle drops a little then comes back to normal. When you turn the headlights on the truck shuts off. If you turn the headlight on before you start the truck it just cranks and wont start. anybody run into this before or am I special???? thanks in advance

Reaction score
they claim its not there chip causing this..but every post that shows up with this very same complaints just happens to be running DP tuner's..im willing to bet if you pull the chip out your problem will go away...

posted by Diane at DP tuner..
It is our conlcusion that not all trucks are grounded the same. It doesn't happen on all trucks withour product. If you are wanting to run aftermarket lights, placing a couple of ferrite beads as suggested at each end of the swith cable will help. FWIW, All sorts of electronic devices will interfer with HID lights. You have to make sure your have good grounds for the HID lights if the brand you buy doesn't have them.

Last edited:

mint-6oh

Reaction score
thanks for the responses. I'll have him pull the chip out to confirm then call dp to see what the fix is if there is one.

00Rich

Reaction score
I had the same problem put the f8 chip in and never had it happen again

average

Reaction score
I have the issue as well, the "fix" supposedly was to put ferrite beads on the chips cables and the HID's cables... I haven't tried that yet.

Lowdown89

Reaction score
I have messed with a few trucks with a DP chip in it with HIDs, and have tried quite a few different things but the only solid fix was to remove the tuner.... Sure it's easy to blame "cheap" HIDs but the $40 dollar xentec is pretty much the same as the $200 kits, only thing with the expensive kits is you get a fancy box and sometimes the wiring and connectors are a little nicer but anyway I have tried both kits and they both did the same thing with the DP tuner.. I have seen a few cases where when turning on the HIDs, the abs light flashes and the speedo drops but that's On trucks with or without a chip.... I hate to tell ya but more than likely the answer you get is going to be buy a "nicer" hid kit or get some of the beads or whatever but I doubt those will actually solve your problem

Rideracelivemx7

Reaction score
Oh no kidding!! I was wondering why my truck Intermitenly shut off with the hids, and figures it didn't do or when the chip was out for reburn... Now I know. PHP has my business when it's time to switch.

Tom S

Reaction score
I have messed with a few trucks with a DP chip in it with HIDs, and have tried quite a few different things but the only solid fix was to remove the tuner.... Sure it's easy to blame "cheap" HIDs but the $40 dollar xentec is pretty much the same as the $200 kits, only thing with the expensive kits is you get a fancy box and sometimes the wiring and connectors are a little nicer but anyway I have tried both kits and they both did the same thing with the DP tuner.. I have seen a few cases where when turning on the HIDs, the abs light flashes and the speedo drops but that's On trucks with or without a chip.... I hate to tell ya but more than likely the answer you get is going to be buy a "nicer" hid kit or get some of the beads or whatever but I doubt those will actually solve your problem

Is there a separate computer for ABS on a SD? I wonder what turning on HID lights actually does that would cause another electronic to freak out. Could the HID light be isolated from the rest of the sytem with a few HD diodes in parallel?

Lowdown89

Reaction score
Is there a separate computer for ABS on a SD? I wonder what turning on HID lights actually does that would cause another electronic to freak out. Could the HID light be isolated from the rest of the sytem with a few HD diodes in parallel?

The kits that did this were low beam only kits that just use the factory harness I haven't seen it on high/low kits that use a ground for each bulb and then power from the battery. But I have only put in 6 kits in a super duty trucks I have a low beam only kit in my OBS f150 and and my 98 ranger and have never had the problem tho... I did a little searching when I first saw the abs light and the speedo drop and as far as I know there isn't any other computer besides the main one so I really have no clue as to why it does it.. I'm not tech savvy enough to actually come up with a solution lol I did try a 6ohm 50watt resistor which seems to be the go to fix for flashing/flickering HIDs in other makes and models of vehicles but it still did it

DP-Tuner

Reaction score
Unlike most rotary knob style switchers our EX and Gauge style switcher is equipped with a microprocessor. A rotary knob style switch is designed for a pin to be grounded in order for the chip to determine what position to be in. The EX and Gauge style switcher from Moates.net design is an intelligent microprocessor that receives it power source and ground from the PCM. This allows for the seamless switching on the EX and Gauge style switcher. This is something the rotary knob cannot do. It is programmed to monitor button activity to determine which program the chip needs to be in. When its power source is interrupted it shut down. This is because of a a drop in its power source below 12volts. To help with the power draw you must hook in to the passenger side battery for your HID lights power source and make sure the HID lights are grounded with a ground wire or you may need to install additional grounds. Ferrite beads are in place on the Moates.net chips and switchers, but they may not be enough to protect against the amount of RF interference given off by aftermarket HID lights. Not all HID lights are made the same, if you experience a shut -down situation with the brand of HID lights you have installed you must add 2 small chokes of ferrite to each end of the Ex and Gauge style switcher cable. In most cases this has fixed the issue our chip has with HID lights. Disclaimer: The use of HID lights on Highway roads are illegal to use on various US state roads. If you chose to run Aftermarket HID lights please check with your local government for legal use in your State or Region. DP-Tuner shall not be held responsible to any personal injury or property damage of any nature due to a malfunction of your HID lights.
DP-Tuner

WhiteDuallyIL

Reaction score
DP-Tuner here F-5 and HID's and you know what my truck runs prefect. Now I do have the HID's getting power from the passenger side battery. I couldn't be happier with either product :)

DP-Tuner

Reaction score
Unlike most rotary knob style switchers our EX and Gauge style switcher is equipped with a microprocessor. A rotary knob style switch is designed for a pin to be grounded in order for the chip to determine what position to be in. The EX and Gauge style switcher from Moates.net design is an intelligent microprocessor that receives it power source and ground from the PCM. This allows for the seamless switching on the EX and Gauge style switcher. This is something the rotary knob cannot do. It is programmed to monitor button activity to determine which program the chip needs to be in. When its power source is interrupted it shut down. This is because of a a drop in its power source below 12volts. To help with the power draw you must hook in to the passenger side battery for your HID lights power source and make sure the HID lights are grounded with a ground wire or you may need to install additional grounds. Ferrite beads are in place on the Moates.net chips and switchers, but they may not be enough to protect against the amount of RF interference given off by aftermarket HID lights. Not all HID lights are made the same, if you experience a shut -down situation with the brand of HID lights you have installed you must add 2 small chokes of ferrite to each end of the Ex and Gauge style switcher cable. In most cases this has fixed the issue our chip has with HID lights. Disclaimer: The use of HID lights on Highway roads are illegal to use on various US state roads. If you chose to run Aftermarket HID lights please check with your local government for legal use in your State or Region. DP-Tuner shall not be held responsible to any personal injury or property damage of any nature due to a malfunction of your HID lights.
DP-Tuner

Lowdown89

Reaction score
So turning on the HIDs in our trucks makes the voltage drop below 12 volts? Not trying to start something, I'm honestly curious because with all the kits I have put in I have never actually had a voltmeter besides the dash gauge and going off that I have never noticed the gauge dropping when turning the lights on, I mean I realize there is a draw on the system when you turn them on but never knew it was that much... Does that mean a large sound system would also do the same thing when the bass hits hard or something like that?

Latest posts

Members online