High Mileage

Reaction score
So my truck has 227 thousand miles on it. I really want to upgrade my truck like bigger injectors and bigger turbo and what not. I was told my truck has to many miles to do these things to. It has a t500 hpop in it right now with gauges and a dp tuner in it. I would really like to upgrade but I won't if it's gonna be bad for it. Thanks for the opinions in advance!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MossBack

Reaction score
Check the compression first. But I know guys here have more miles on the truck. I started turning mine up at like 180. Now I sit at 207k with a daily 375hp truck. I tow anything I want race and beat the hell out of it and she keeps begging for more.

Moss Diesel Service

Reaction score
Ok thank you. What's the best way to run a compression test. I don't want to pay big money to just test it somewhere else. If I could do it then I will!!

Whitezotti

Reaction score
Yea compression test is a good idea.

I just put 225/100 injectors in my 6.0 that has 350,000. Put a thumper hpop amd barder turbo. I also have the headstuds and tranny. And other little things.

My 7.3 has a 38r and tranny and tunes. It's had them since 170,000 I'm now on 220,000

My engine and tranny harness just went bad on my 6.0 to. Since the cab was off we replaced it. It wasn't really bad , it just had some holes in it and was torn up a little.

Reaction score
Alright looks like I will need to compression test it then. Awesome thanks I will check it out. How do you like your 38r?? Is it worth the money? Or should I just get a 1.0 housing with a ww2??

Whitezotti

Reaction score
I've heard people running that wheel amd housing combo.

If you have the money get the 38r. When I got it 5 years ago it spooled quick. But lately it seems it doesn't spool as quick. Maybe because in the past years I've had a 6.0. And I ended up getting a powermax for the 6.0 and that spooled up super fast. I've been driving the 6.0 a lot more to.

38r is a great turbo tho.

I've driven a .84 turbine and they spool up quick. I wouldn't get that unless your staying stock. The 1 should be great for a chip

Last edited:

TyCorr

Reaction score
If you maintained the truck well, the motor may be fine. Especially if its had those dinky assed 90cc injectors in it the whole time.

My superduty ran stockers tuned and "stg2's" in its first 255k miles and it was torn down to be inspected and all I did was reseal everything, replace everything bolted to it, replace the oil pan and put it back in. It was still really clean and no wear.

Magnum PD

Reaction score
If you took care if your air filter, not K&N (your screwed if you did), kept it clean, your compression will be alright.

Reaction score
Ya it's had the 6637 air filter on it for most of its life so I would imagine it's good. Still could be wrong. And yes it has had stock injectors in it it's whole life also. Just trying to figure out the best turbo/injector setup.

Whitezotti

Reaction score
Ok thank you. What's the best way to run a compression test. I don't want to pay big money to just test it somewhere else. If I could do it then I will!!

You can take the oil filler cap off and flip it over and put it on top of the filler stem and if the cap blows off you have a compression problem, or excessive blow by.

I've heard people use a paper towel. But some people say you need to use the cap.

Reaction score
K I have done that and it doesn't blow it off so I would imagine it is good. And also I had a blowby test done on it and they said I had 2 inches of blowby. Don't know if this is good or bad.

Reaction score
They just said blowby. Not sure what that means that's why I was asking. He said it was really good.

Bobby@cp

Reaction score
Keep in mind that a 38r isnt a simple drop in turbo for an obs and for the time and money youd have into swapping to Superduty parts to run it.... You'd be better off going with a t4 mount and a turbo matched to the injectors youll be using.

backwoodsboy

Reaction score
Without knowing what he used to take that measurement and how he took it, 2" does not tell us anything.
Assuming he followed Ford procedure and used a differential pressure gauge calibrated in inH20, blocked off the CCV, and took the measurement from the oil filler neck, 2 inH20 is nothing to worry about. 3 inH20 is the upper limit of Ford specs.

Whitezotti

Reaction score
Keep in mind that a 38r isnt a simple drop in turbo for an obs and for the time and money youd have into swapping to Superduty parts to run it.... You'd be better off going with a t4 mount and a turbo matched to the injectors youll be using.

I agree. Might as well go big or go home. The t4 flange is universal and you can make major horse power if you want to. Or you can keep it mild. It's up to you.

Reaction score
Alright ya I think it was just the regular ford procedure. And alright. I just am looking for a good turbo kit that will spool quick but then again won't kill everything else in my truck.

Latest posts

Members online