Hit and Run, need some advice on trans

johnnyroastbeef

Reaction score
A guy in Philly ran a stop sign and swiped the front end of my truck on the way through the intersection THEN DROVE AWAY, (his Tahoe was barely drivable.) So red fluid was pouring from the front bumper, right behind the tow-hook area. I assume it was trans fluid from a broken cooler line. I only drove the truck about 10 feet to get it out of the intersection after the crash. The employee at the body shop started the truck a day later and the fluid was more brown. Is that a good indication that my trans is done? thanks for any feedback.

here's a picture with the hood up, you can see the dark spots where the fuid was dripping down under the tow hook.
20150504_173357_zps6cyujcwa.jpg

f350guy

Reaction score
Damn, I feel your plight. I was sideswiped in Dec by a moron in an '07 550i with temporary tags, no insurance, no license. Caused me to need two doors, running board, fender, headlight, hood, mirror, and bumper. At least I destroyed his vehicle, so I received the last laugh there.

Hope you are okay.

As to the trans... I too would fix the leak and go from there. ATF pumps farily quickly, not sure how long it would take to pump it all out from a 5R110W. If insurance is dealing with it (as it sounds that way) let them figure it out. Hopefully it is not a built built if it has failed.

Go to the doctor also, whether you feel okay or not. Just so it is on record.

Leftthenleft

Reaction score
I got side swiped by a bmw last year also. 37" tire marks all down the side of his car and he didn't even stop. I have never been more mad. Sorry to hear this...

johnnyroastbeef

Reaction score
The body shop called and said the frame is bent. I went to see it and the whole front end is shifted over badly. the shop said that are going put my truck on a new frame?! I was shocked they don't total it and walk away but the insurance company is gonna fix it. still no word if they found or charged the other driver in the wreck. they are estimating it'll be in the shop for 40+ days and cost 20k for the parts and repairs!

patricku47

Reaction score
The body shop called and said the frame is bent. I went to see it and the whole front end is shifted over badly. the shop said that are going put my truck on a new frame?! I was shocked they don't total it and walk away but the insurance company is gonna fix it. still no word if they found or charged the other driver in the wreck. they are estimating it'll be in the shop for 40+ days and cost 20k for the parts and repairs!

At $20k worth of damages I'm shocked that they aren't going to total it. I would be fighting to try and get it totalled at this point....

johnnyroastbeef

Reaction score
How many miles are on the truck for it not to be totaled?

the truck has 113,000 miles. I'm kinda skeptical about them fixing it but the body shop guy was very confident about it. so we'll see. If they do they do total it I don't know what truck I'd really get to replace it. My truck has all the options I want and need and to buy a truck that is similarly equipped for the same money might be tough.

Latest posts

Members online