Home Made Traction Bars: My How-To

John@Outlaw_Diesel

Reaction score
I have two different sets of traction bars on my old obs and my Superduty, never had a problem with the tractor links, plenty of boosted lanunches, sledpulling, etc. Love the setup Wint. Like the idea that you can take them off in a matter of seconds.

wint

Reaction score
Is your schedule 40 1.5 id or od dan?

I think it was OD.

I have two different sets of traction bars on my old obs and my Superduty, never had a problem with the tractor links, plenty of boosted lanunches, sledpulling, etc. Love the setup Wint. Like the idea that you can take them off in a matter of seconds.

Thank you sir.

bad12jr

Reaction score
Schedule 40 seems too thin to me I'd go with at least 80. I found some 120 but had to buy a 30ft stick. They look awesome though. Mine are made with top links and they are holding up great. The next set I build I'm gonna use ballistic joints.

Last edited:

Dieselboy

Reaction score
wow.... Id rip those off in one try.

heres mine. lower bar 2" x 1/4" dom, upper bar is 1 3/4" x 1/4'' dom. 3/8'' plate on the axle side.

296452_2113900332693_1401228641_31850638_867382558_n.jpg

AKHILF

Reaction score
I was thinking about building my own set a few months ago out of some 2" sch 80 and 1.5 sch 80 and ballistic joints i never got around to it though. I have a bad feeling yours will bend with the power your putting down. But at least you know how to build them like you did im sure you can beef up on the second set/

Dieselboy

Reaction score
Your frame brackets need to be double shear and they may survive for little longer.

wint

Reaction score
Double shear? Ill be honest, the one has tweaked out some. My thought to remedy it is to add a heavy piece of angle iron to bolt to bottom of the frame rail to hold it in. Its sturdy, just needs the one extra brace.

Dzchey21

Reaction score
Def need to.do.something about the front pin I can see that breaking off and causing a pogo pretty quick...

What you need to do is box that baby in and it will be good ti go

wint

Reaction score
Its alot stronger than it appears, Ill have to document exactly how i do it on the next set.

wint

Reaction score
Is that figured in a straight line force? My pin is welded in, its 3/4in thick, it doesnt have the ability to move like a bolt would.

wint

Reaction score
Do like Red Stroke did & use a shock tower mount attached to the bottom of the frame. Cheap, simple, & effective...

IMG_0475.jpg

Not bad Garret. I tried to keep the bars inline as possible. Ill probably redesign the front mount since i have people wanting a set made.

So far they are holding up well. I got them adjusted in how i want them and haven't had a bit of trouble. Towing, DDing. They are a great addition!

Latest posts

Members online