Homebrew RR and Fuel System

pa-powerstroke

Reaction score
So I need to do my headgaskets and studs and at the same time I plan to do a RR and fuel system. Ive heard about guys piecing one together themselves and I would like to save the money by doing it myself. Can someone give me some direction on this? If I could get a diagram and better idea of how to do it and what all I need?

ford rules

Reaction score
Sump or pickup tube whichever you prefer to a fuel water separator fuel pump of your choice into a fuel filter this will be all -10 line so far. Out of the fuel filter it will be -8 up to the heads then use a y block or t fitting to slit it to -6 and feed both heads out of the rear of the heads use -6 into each side of the regulator then return to tank using -6 that's pretty much it not really complicated.

Pizza pig

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
First things first, what are your injector/power plans for the truck? Dont go balls out on a fuel system just to do it. To do these things right, you cant cheap out on products, so youre going to spend a decent chunk of change either way. If you need any help I've built a lot of different fuel systems and can give you and pointers you need.

HobbyStock62

Reaction score
can anyone give me a ballpark length for the lines?...-10, -8, and -6. i got a crew cab long box, dont want to buy way to much. but ford rules summed it up perfectly. i was way over thinking it. haha

ford rules

Reaction score
Just go measure your truck, the -6 will have to get you from the motor to the tank plus add more for running in/out of the heads. The -8 will depend where you filter is probably somewhere in the middle of the truck and the -10 is pretty much the same depends where you water separator is gonna be. I always add more than you think you'll need, it also take more to route hoses nicely I have found through my work.

HobbyStock62

Reaction score
ok, do you think its worth the extra money for braided or just go with pushlock? i would probably do braided for in the engine compartment just for looks, but the rest?

Pizza pig

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
Push loc tank to engine, the teflon lined stainless braided in The bay

pa-powerstroke

Reaction score
First things first, what are your injector/power plans for the truck? Dont go balls out on a fuel system just to do it. To do these things right, you cant cheap out on products, so youre going to spend a decent chunk of change either way. If you need any help I've built a lot of different fuel systems and can give you and pointers you need.

I never really plan on going bigger than 190/100s. What are the differences between the sump or the pickup tube? And when Im doing the RR can I run the lines out of the back of the heads to the stock fuel regulator or do I need to get an aftermarket one?

Pizza pig

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
If the pickup is done right, it wont be any different than a stock system. I like the sump because Its easy.

Lines need to go to a new regulator and the stock return needs to be plugged. Honestly, to do it right youre going to spend similar money than buying one, and you dont have to do any of the leg work. PM me if you want some more help.

ford rules

Reaction score
Just buy driven diesels rr and run lines to it. The driven kit is top notch I just got mine and the quality is outstanding.

Latest posts

Members online