Hot side pipe for dual alternators

Myerswelder

Reaction score
Does anyone know if there is a company that makes an upgraded hot side that will fit a truck with dual alternators? All the ones I've found say they don't fit so hopefully I'm not stuck with my one that's smashed by the second alternator. Thank for all the help!

daelv

Reaction score
I'm having the same problem. I'd feel bad taking a rubber mallet to some polished pipes haha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Myerswelder

Reaction score
I may have to order one of those then. I wish I could just take the stupid thing off. It makes everything a pain to work on

sootie

Reaction score
Why not just lose an alternator? I highly doubt you are using the power. It's as simple as a different belt and a jumper wire ...

nighthawk285

Reaction score
I may have to order one of those then. I wish I could just take the stupid thing off. It makes everything a pain to work on

Then just take it off lol.

Ford guidelines with diagrams
https://www.fleet.ford.com/truckbbas/non-html/Q91.pdf

Forum write-up
Tuscany said:
This is for those of you who have dual alternators and wanted to switch to just a single alternator setup for whatever reason. It took me a LONG time of searching to find the information needed to complete what would seem to be a simple task of remove and call it good. However that isn't the case with these trucks and in a second you will see why.

Not sure how many knew this but my truck originally had dual alternators from the factory. Now the way the ECM is setup it randomly selects which alternator to use to charge the system each time the truck is started. That means you CANNOT simply unplug the second alternator and go on, because should you do that and the ECM selects the alternator that is no longer there, the truck will drain the batteries and leave you stranded.

All that said there is a simple work around.

On the passenger side fender well there is a harness that the factory dual alternator plugs into. When you remove the second ALT the harness needs to come out too.

It plugs in right here.
212A8A15-DFC1-41CA-AD7F-9439C86F2148_1.jpg

Those of you who don't have a second ALT will see a little "loop back plug" in the end of the harness. This is what you need to replicate with the factory dual ALT harness.

It's very simple.

Remove the old harness and find the plug that looks like this.
9CC5E429-F3E1-4108-940D-E3CE6E90C12B_1.jpg

I had already modified this one before I took this pic. But the green loop back is what you need to worry about. You have to change the pin out locations for the green wire and remove the others.

To do that you need to take and pull the rubber stop out so you can access the release pin.

F52CE8D4-0226-48DA-BC2A-991DD8974A42.jpg

I used a piece of 1/16" tungsten to push it out.

830436D4-6A38-447E-8EC6-9872E61FB357_1.jpg

Once you have removed the red tab, proceed to remove the other wires and pins and put the two green pins in the location you see here, then button it back up and plug it into the factory harness along the fender well and you are DONE.

11A4214A-1733-4889-8043-5AF4392908CA.jpg

F52CE8D4-0226-48DA-BC2A-991DD8974A42_1.jpg

I only had to do this because I have decided to use fire hoses for injectors and needed a twin pump setup and the way they mount to the head you can't utilize a dual ALT.

Mdub707

Reaction score
Or here's a better idea... leave the dual alternators...

and just put the regular single alternator CAC pipe on... it will fit just fine. I have one on mine. After I put it on I kind of scratched my head as to why they would do that.

I actually noticed a 1-2psi loss of boost, which means there is more air flowing too.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.