How bad is your cold start?

TheReelMuhcoy

Reaction score
So I realized tonight that the truck was not actually plugged in when I took that video. Apparently the GFI outlet tripped and I failed to notice this. In either case that was still a rather nasty start and I am concerned about the injectors.

I have noticed in the past few months, when stopped at a light the engine will surge and the truck will creep forward. Then on a cool start (after truck has been left to sit for an hour or so) when i put the truck into drive/reverse and start to get on the gas pedal, it kicks or bucks gently, then when i get on the pedal a little more it smooths out. Sounding more like an injector issue?

TheReelMuhcoy

Reaction score
I should have mentioned this earlier, my HG is toast. Could this be part of my starting issue? I have also noticed that I am making all kinds of boost but going no where. The other day I leaned into it on the highway at around 75 and almost hit 40psi. I am also blowin' a lot of coal lately.

Could this be a combo of injectors going bad and HG. Or is this my HG is already shot now my injectors acting up?

pa-powerstroke

Reaction score
My 03 6.0 has 119 thou on the clock and still starts like a champ even when its in the teens or twenties. Has a slight miss for the first minute but then steadies out. A lot of guys dont like the early 6.0s but I love my old girl. Shes a beast

chappy

Reaction score
My truck never gets plugged in. We've had mostley teens and single digit numbers at night this year ad sometimes during the day. Truck starts great . I was fighting a weak battery issue but it still started then as well. Alternator wasn't doing its job to full capacity. My 7.3 on the other hand never liked to start that well and sometimes didn't. Replaced everything on that ol truck as well. The 6.0 never changed anything glow plug related . I would imagine if I went to a 5w40 synthetic it would start even better. But yours should start especially plugged in. The one time I plugged mine in with 5 degree weather I didn't even have to let the glow plug light come off to start. Just hit the key

yeehaw

Reaction score
not plugged in with the oil temp below 30 degrees (running 15w40) it romps literally three times then runs smooth as can be. All factory injectors and factory FICM with 107k miles.

Latest posts

Members online