How many miles after flush before new cooler?

LiftedBlackHD

Reaction score
I will be flushing my cooling system using restore and restore plus.

After that procedure is complete, how many miles should I put on the truck before swapping the oil cooler?

Keep in mind I've been running Cat ELC with a coolant filtration system for about 6-7 years and approximately 30k miles.

Thanks

Gary

Reaction score
There is no way to answer that question with out knowing what the inside of your cooling system looks like before and after using chemicals to clean it.
Most of those cooling system chemicals are "snake oil" and are absolutely useless. I had a M.I.T. PhD review the MSDS sheets for the popular "flushes" they sell at the auto parts stores, and then look at Motorcraft VC9, he said the only one to use is the VC9 and the rest weren't worth buying.
I'd look at the MSDS sheet for the product you are planning on using and compare it to whats in the VC9, if it doesn't have the same chemicals in it I'd pass.

LiftedBlackHD

Reaction score
There is no way to answer that question with out knowing what the inside of your cooling system looks like before and after using chemicals to clean it.
Most of those cooling system chemicals are "snake oil" and are absolutely useless. I had a M.I.T. PhD review the MSDS sheets for the popular "flushes" they sell at the auto parts stores, and then look at Motorcraft VC9, he said the only one to use is the VC9 and the rest weren't worth buying.
I'd look at the MSDS sheet for the product you are planning on using and compare it to whats in the VC9, if it doesn't have the same chemicals in it I'd pass.

Restore and restore + are pretty well established products in the turbo diesel industry.

James W

Reaction score
If you have been running ELC and a filter for so long, I'm not even sure I'd bother doing the flush, just change the cooler

LiftedBlackHD

Reaction score
I did the flush and back flush today with restore, restore+ and massive amounts of water. I'm pretty sure I single handidly negatively affected Californias drought situation!

I then refilled 4-5 times with distilled and plan to drive it back and forth to work this week, monitor the temps and hopefully whatever crud is left over will be trapped in the oil cooler and coolant filter. Then next weekend i'll replace the cooler.

Gary

Reaction score
Restore and restore + are pretty well established products in the turbo diesel industry.

I found a MSDS sheet for Restore on Fleetguards site but for some reasonI couldn't blow it up large enough to read it. It looks like Cummins make it, so I'd say any chemicals from a OE are probably about the best you can get. The $5 flush products at the big chain stores is basically worthless.

Latest posts

Members online