How much can the factory intercooler hold

mind if I smoke

Reaction score
As the title says how much can the factory intercoolers on the 6.0s take? I'm planing on upgrading to a 68mm and was wanting to know if it can hold it or if I will blow the ends off as soon as I start building pressure. I plan on doing the intercooler when the funds come up but they cost as much as the freaking turbo so it might be a minute. Long story short can I run a factory intercooler with a 68mm until I get an aluminum one?

HeavyAssault

Reaction score
BPD has the ends tanks for the OEM inter-cooler. Cheaper to prevent the issue until you can afford a new inter-cooler.

mind if I smoke

Reaction score
I'd hate to take the intercooler out just to have to reinstall it in 6 or 8 months. I mostly want to know if I can run the 68mm or should I wait until I get an intercooler.

Mdub707

Reaction score
Most seem ok even with the 68's.

DHFF on here (a buddy of mine) blew apart three stockers with nothing but a tune however. Not sure what the heck was going on with his truck, but it was an 03 with Innovative tuning and it would hit 40lbs of boost all the time, without even trying very hard. It made that on an 03 turbo and an 05 turbo and it kept blowing intercoolers.

mind if I smoke

Reaction score
I know a good back fire to the turbo will blow one I just didn't know if it could hold the pressure constantly. I think I might just go for it. I really want that turbo on my truck. I have a buddy with a 6.4 who needs to be shown a thing about the 6.0.

MrOneEyedBoh

Reaction score
Ahh I havent seen anyone really talk about that much... Great haha so its another thing to add to the list lol.

Rideracelivemx7

Reaction score
same thing here, mines holding up still. Honestly haven't expected it too but have boosted 40ish pounds a good few times. i have however heard of completely bone stock trucks blowing them before, i figure if it hasn't popped yet then it more than likely wont.

SmokedF747

Reaction score
mishimoto tested a stock one versus theirs, the intercooler blew at 90 psi i believe, but like previous guys have said, never know, each truck acts differently, some blow head gaskets, some dont lol but that's the highest psi i have heard anyone pushing a stock i/c on a 6.0.....i have to say i switched to a mishimoto one and my egt's dropped 150 degrees wide open throttle, i havent even seen 1400 degrees in my setup.

Mdub707

Reaction score
That's just static pressure in there though, not sure how different it is when the air is moving through the cooler rapidly...

strokethis_06

Reaction score
Mine blew apart the first time I spooled it to 60psi.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online