How much shimming on 910 springs ?

Smokin 6.0

Reaction score
Putting Comp 910's in a E-99 question is how much shimming do i need to do. Truck is running stock now but will be getting 300/200's and a HX50. Thanks

mattman347

Reaction score
The proper way to shim them would be to measure the height and get correct seat pressure. With that being said, I have used a 30 shim under mine (stock heads) years ago and did not have an issue with 350/200's.

HBDELUX

Reaction score
Search PSA "comp 910 valve spring install how to"

Good, read prob answer all your questions. I don't know how to link the thread

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
The proper way to shim them would be to measure the height and get correct seat pressure. With that being said, I have used a 30 shim under mine (stock heads) years ago and did not have an issue with 350/200's.
what does it matter if hight varies if the correct seat pressure is equal accross the board? well, not like stretched and wore out hight, but wont the hight vary on used valves with the correct seat pressure?

live life full throttle

TyCorr

Reaction score
Huh? You measure spring height. The spring height will be equal, the shims are increased or decreased to make that happen. If you take a set of those gasser trash springs and just pitch a .30 shim under each one your seat pressure could be 100-140lbs...hardly "close enough". If you go that route im pretty sure they sell .15 and .30 shims... keping in mibd of course, there are different heights depending on what you desire to do ie cams, boost, or whatever.

mandkole

Reaction score
On old valves, the issue is the recession-- compared to new, the more it wears, the more the stem comes out of the head and increases height. to the lock. Between the valve stem lock location and the base that the spring sits on, the installed height can vary slightly from valve to valve.

Get a good average of the height required to put the springs on your valves, then take a spring compressor and measure the spring to that overall height. Preload as necessary (with shims) to reach correct spring rate at that height.

TyCorr

Reaction score
Isnt the shim addressing the wear at the spring seat? I know the valve itself can wear its seat and be sticking up higher into the valvetrain but if you are measuring spring height. The shims added at the bottom of the valve adress worn springs seats and then the distance from the spring seat to the top of the spring which is obviously held by the retainer.

I dont know, when I did mine, it worked out to a 30 thousandths under each and one needed a 15 also...i took them out to use an actual valve spring for the 7.3. Like swamps.

mandkole

Reaction score
Sorry, my interpretation was confusing. Yes, the preload shim is basically doing both-- elevating the spring (to adjust for wear), plus insuring that its got enough rate for seat pressure at installed height.

TyCorr

Reaction score
You guys had me *scratching head* "did I do mine wrong?"

I literally have a stock valvetrain, iirc, right now. I dont like those 910s. Seem chintzy. Thats only my opinion though. I just take it easy here until I can get this straightened out.

Rideracelivemx7

Reaction score
It's not just about seat pressure. You need to measure install height and make sure the shim you added to get desired shim height isn't pushing it too close to bind height for the spring. 910s don't have a lot to work with in terms of lift and bind height.

Carolina444

Reaction score
I'm going to upgrade springs soon and I've asked a few of our sponsors and they recommend a behive style spring. I haven't researched what behive spring works with our application. Anyone have experience with beehives ?

Rideracelivemx7

Reaction score
I'm running beehives from comp springs. 150psi seat pressure with no shimming. Great spring so far on my daily. It's in the swamps site. They require new locks and retainers.

Rideracelivemx7

Reaction score
I'd help you out a little more with part numbers and what not for better pricing but I broke my phone with everything on it lol

Rideracelivemx7

Reaction score
I'm on my tablet and all the photos of the part numbers for the valve springs, retainers and locks are on my phone. If strokintatsch comes on, he has the part numbers

Reaction score
been a long time since i bought my springs but i pretty sure these are the part# for beehives
Comp Springs #26120-16
Comp Locators #4696-16
Comp Retainers #795-16
Comp Locks #617-16

seat psi is 150 @ 1.88 install height...mine took no shims and worked with stock valve seals right from ford...

golfer

Reaction score
I'm running beehives from comp springs. 150psi seat pressure with no shimming. Great spring so far on my daily. It's in the swamps site. They require new locks and retainers.

just to clarify, our beehive springs are not CompCams.

not saying the above part numbers wouldn't work, are inferior, etc..nothing of the sort...there's always more than one way to skin a cat.

Latest posts

Members online