How much will the stock head bolts hold?

94.5 Stroker

Reaction score
Im getting hybrids and a 38r off of another truck and the motor it came off of had studs. They are in the future for me but I think these will be done first. I know my clutch wont hold the power but I don't wanna blow the headgaskets either. Thanks for any info. Also can the studs be done one by one istead of pulling the heads?

Tom S

Reaction score
I think I also would be cautious until the studs were installed.

389sixpack

Reaction score
You can lift the heads with stock bolts in the 350 to 450 rwhp range depending on tuners. I'd be doing studs now.

The Oiler

Reaction score
I was told along time ago that you could push it to 42 psi before you would have a problem.But there are some factors involved with this, turbo size, timing on your tuning, and some other ones I cant remember. You can put studs in with the heads still on, its just the back part of the engine is really tight. It was tight even with the 2inch body lift I have

389sixpack

Reaction score
Boost pressure has squat to do with whether a head lifts or not. It is Cylinder Pressure (2000-2500 or higher psi) that lifts your head. CP is what derived from fuel delivery, timing, etc translated into RWHP is the best way to judge if you need studs or not. Some tuners run more timing and more CP than others. I know folks blowing head gaskets at 425, and others lower and higher. If you plan on going over 400'ish, plan on studs just to be safe.

94.5 Stroker

Reaction score
Matt is doing my tuning and yes anthony i know i got it. I was just curious what all i need to plan for because i know that even tho i jus did a clutch while the motor was out i put a new stock clutch in. Well in no time its gonna be toast. So I have to plan for that expense too.

Bruno2

Reaction score
So how are these guys building 6 oh chits with a bunch of power? They have half the head bolts that a 7.3 has. So even with studs do they have do a top end after every run or pull?

Dieselfever

Reaction score
Mine see 40+ every time I drive it, usually peak is 47psi - 52psi

That's with 200/30's and a Modded H2E. Factory HPOP, Factory Headbolts, SD fuel pump, Swamps programs, and A Haisley Street puller DD Clutch. Did the build Feb 2009 and has over 22k miles on it.

-Michael

ParkerFly

Reaction score
I'm making 460 hp on stock head bolts with no problems yet. My Modded h2e only makes boost in the low 30's, and I've been live tuned. I really don't worry about my head gaskets at all. I seldom use all 460 horse, and really don't use much over the 355 horse my tow tune makes. A lot of it is in how you drive it, the rest is your combination and tuning.

Members online

No members online now.